HomeAnswersNephrologyhydronephrosisHow to manage renal calculi and its symptoms?

How to manage moderate hydronephrosis, hydroureter, and renal calculi?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At January 15, 2023
Reviewed AtOctober 17, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

My mother is diagnosed with moderate right hydronephrosis, and proximal hydroureter is seen due to a calculus (1400 HU in attenuation value) in the right upper ureter measuring 13.2 x 7 mm, located approximately 6.5 cm below the pelvic ureteric junction. Two calculi are seen in the mid pole of the right kidney, the largest measuring 3 mm. Tiny calculus measuring 2 mm is seen in the upper pole of the left kidney. She is taking the medications Tenegliptin 20 plus and Metformin 500 mg. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Yash Kathuria


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern for your mother.

The stones which are less than 5 mm are not of much concern because they may pass with adequate water intake, that is, 84.5 to 101.4 ounces of water every day. But the stone size of 13 mm has increased pressure in the right side of the kidney, which in the long run may cause irreversible kidney injury. So my suggestion would be this is the clear-cut indication to go to a urologist for stenting and stone removal. As a preventive measure, I suggest taking syrup Potassium citrate two teaspoonfuls daily. Consult a specialist and take medications with their consent.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Yash Kathuria
Dr. Yash Kathuria

Family Physician

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy