Q. I have hydronephrosis in the left kidney. Can medicine dissolve kidney stones from that kidney?

Dr. Manisha Auradkar Raghunath Auradkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2021

I am 19-year-old. I had an enormous pain in my stomach two days back. In ultrasound, I came to know that I have two kidney stones, 4.4 mm in the left kidney 6.5 mm in the left ureter. And I have hydronephrosis in the left kidney. Would they come out on their own? Please give your opinion.

#

Kidney stones are very painful, and depending on their size, their treatment is planned. The size of the stones is not small; hence the pain is extreme. Have you consulted a nephrologist or urologist regarding this? If not, I suggest you do it as soon as possible. Certain medications help in improving pain and dissolving kidney stones if taken as per the doctor's advice. Drinking plenty of water is the most important thing in patients with kidney stones. With time these should come out, although regular follow-ups are suggested. The nephrologist might suggest other alternative options available as treatment, and it depends on your overall health. So consulting a urologist is the next best thing you should do as you have hydronephrosis in the left kidney.

I hope this helps you. Please feel free to contact for any further query in the future.

|