Q. Will hypertension cause early death?

Answered by Dr. Ritendra Nath Talapatra and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hypertension or High Blood Pressure? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 40-year-old male with a weight of 98 kg and a height of 185 cm. I felt choking last month and I rushed to the hospital. It was there I got to know that my blood pressure was very high. In fact, I have been hypertensive for some time now. I did a series of tests including lipid, ECG and echo. The cardiologist told me that I have left ventricular hypertrophy which has got me scared to death.

The following are my echo results. The chamber summary is normal except dilation of the left atrium but the LAD is 30.4 mm.

• IVSD 13.8 mm
  • IVIDD is 50.8
  • PWD 12.3 mm
  • IVSS 16.3
  • lVIDD 34.6
  • EDV 130 9ml
  • ESV 41 5 mL
  • SV 89.4ml
  • EF at 68.32%
  • FS 35.82%
  • IV mass 337.3 g
  • IV Mass - c 270.4g
  • LAD 34.6 mm
  • RVD 34.6 mm

Both diastolic and systolic functions are normal. The wall motion of left ventricle and contractibility are normal. Aorta valve is normal. Mitral valve is normal. The pulmonary valve is normal. IVC is normal. Pericardial space is normal. Tricuspid is normal.

The cardiologist did not tell me the kind of hypertrophy I have and I want to know it, please. Am I likely to drop dead? I am on aggressive blood pressure control taking Losartan 50 mg and Carvedilol 6.25. Blood pressure is always under 120/80. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and also have 30 minutes of walk four times a week.

Please, will LVH recess over time and can I live for another 40 years?