Q. Will hypertension cause early death?

Dr. Ritendra Nath Talapatra
Published on Feb 12, 2018

I am a 40-year-old male with a weight of 98 kg and a height of 185 cm. I felt choking last month and I rushed to the hospital. It was there I got to know that my blood pressure was very high. In fact, I have been hypertensive for some time now. I did a series of tests including lipid, ECG and echo. The cardiologist told me that I have left ventricular hypertrophy which has got me scared to death.

The following are my echo results. The chamber summary is normal except dilation of the left atrium but the LAD is 30.4 mm.

• IVSD 13.8 mm
  • IVIDD is 50.8
  • PWD 12.3 mm
  • IVSS 16.3
  • lVIDD 34.6
  • EDV 130 9ml
  • ESV 41 5 mL
  • SV 89.4ml
  • EF at 68.32%
  • FS 35.82%
  • IV mass 337.3 g
  • IV Mass - c 270.4g
  • LAD 34.6 mm
  • RVD 34.6 mm

Both diastolic and systolic functions are normal. The wall motion of left ventricle and contractibility are normal. Aorta valve is normal. Mitral valve is normal. The pulmonary valve is normal. IVC is normal. Pericardial space is normal. Tricuspid is normal.

The cardiologist did not tell me the kind of hypertrophy I have and I want to know it, please. Am I likely to drop dead? I am on aggressive blood pressure control taking Losartan 50 mg and Carvedilol 6.25. Blood pressure is always under 120/80. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and also have 30 minutes of walk four times a week.

Please, will LVH recess over time and can I live for another 40 years?

#

You are not likely to drop dead.

You are hypertensive for a long time and that is why you are having left ventricular hypertrophy due to left ventricular remodeling.

If you control your hypertension there can be reverse remodeling of your heart and your LV (left ventricle) will normalize in time.

I suggest you take medications as prescribed consisting of ARB (angiotensin receptor blocker) and beta blocker that will make your heart normal again in time.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Related Video

Hypertension - How Aware Are You?

Article Overview: This simple quiz tests your knowledge and teaches you hypertension facts. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Please check the answer key and get to know how much you know about hypertension based on your score. 0-3: You need to learn more 3-6: A little more knowledge is good for health > 6: Keep updating yourself Question 1: Hypertensive patients should avoid exercise a) True b) False Answer:...  Read Article

I have high blood pressure and feel chest pain. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I feel pain on the left side of my chest. I have no sugar but high blood pressure. My age is 50 years. I am 67 inches in height and my weight is 78 kg.  Read Full >>

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms could be related to gastroesophageal reflux or muscle pain. I recommend taking an antacid and Acetaminophen. If the pain persists, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a physical exam and some tests as follows: Resting ECG a...  Read Full

I had high blood pressure and low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction?

Query: Hi doctor,I had high blood pressure, low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction? I have no chest pain. At the time of ECG, my blood pressure was 168/100 and heart beat 46.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your ECG (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The reports mentioned on ECG are machine generated and are frequently inaccurate. There is no clear-cut evidence of myocardial infarction on ECG. As you also do not have any history of ch...  Read Full