Q. My TSH level increased to 7. 40 from 3. 45 in five months. Why?

Dr. Divakara P

Before five years, I was tested for thyroid. The result was TSH at 3.45. Five months later, my symptoms were getting worse, and my doctor rechecked me after five months TSH was 7.40, and free T4 was 0.9. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Which would explain my weight gain, hair loss, fatigue, etc.

Why was there a change in my TSH? She put me on 100 mcg of Levothyroxin and 500 mg of Metformin, and I had two ultrasounds of my ovaries (outside and inside), and they were fine. She also told me my Prolactin levels were at 31.4. What does that mean? She told me to come back in six weeks to get it all retested then promptly went on vacation.

#

Elevated Prolactin means the concentration of Prolactin hormones in your blood is high. Prolactin is a hormone secreted by the pituitary in the brain. It controls the action of sex hormones. It can be elevated due to problems either in your pituitary or in your ovaries. You require an evaluation for that.

TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) values keep changing even in normal persons. It depends on physical activity, the rate of metabolism in the body. When tested initially, you might have been in the starting stage of hypothyroidism, and hence the TSH value came normal. After a few months, the hypothyroidism progressed, and hence your TSH got raised. I hope this answers your query. Any clarifications or questions feel free to ask. I am happy to help you.

|