Q. My TSH level increased to 7. 40 from 3. 45 in five months. Why?

Dr. Divakara P
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 21, 2019

Before five years, I was tested for thyroid. The result was TSH at 3.45. Five months later, my symptoms were getting worse, and my doctor rechecked me after five months TSH was 7.40, and free T4 was 0.9. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Which would explain my weight gain, hair loss, fatigue, etc.

Why was there a change in my TSH? She put me on 100 mcg of Levothyroxin and 500 mg of Metformin, and I had two ultrasounds of my ovaries (outside and inside), and they were fine. She also told me my Prolactin levels were at 31.4. What does that mean? She told me to come back in six weeks to get it all retested then promptly went on vacation.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Elevated Prolactin means the concentration of Prolactin hormones in your blood is high. Prolactin is a hormone secreted by the pituitary in the brain. It controls the action of sex hormones. It can be elevated due to problems either in your pituitary or in your ovaries. You require an evaluation for that.

TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) values keep changing even in normal persons. It depends on physical activity, the rate of metabolism in the body. When tested initially, you might have been in the starting stage of hypothyroidism, and hence the TSH value came normal. After a few months, the hypothyroidism progressed, and hence your TSH got raised. I hope this answers your query. Any clarifications or questions feel free to ask. I am happy to help you.

Should hypothyroidism medicine be given for TSH level 8.12?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother aged 75 years has TSH 8.12. She has adrenalism and takes Hisone 12 mg daily. Should she be administered medicine for hypothyroidism?  Read Full >>

Dr. _-----

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are higher chances of hypothyroidism in a patient who has hypoadrenalism (Addison's disease). These both conditions can be the manifestation of the same underlying process (autoimmune). If your mother is symptomatic (weakness, dry skin, hair loss, constipation,...  Read Full

Do low TSH level and Low FT4 mean hyperthyroid?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full >>

Dr. (col) Rakesh Karanwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.Low levels of both TSH and FT4 indicate that the problem is at Pituitary or Hypothalamus level and NOT Thyroid. Also, your thyroid is NOT hyperactive and your thyroids are apparently functioning normally. You will therefore require further evaluation to localize the site o...  Read Full

My bp is 100/60 and TSH level is 0.022, I am feeling alone and depressed. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have 100/60 blood pressure, and I feel less active. My TSH level is 0.022, and I am feeling alone and depressed, but I am getting sleep. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to ilciniq.com. A blood pressure of 100/60 is normal for a woman in your age group. However, if you are feeling lightheaded upon standing, then you need evaluation to see if your blood pressure drops when you stand up. Your blood counts and urinalysis are normal. Your thyroid hormon...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now