Q. I have a small acne like thing on chest. Is it related to cancer?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I have attached a picture which is on my chest for about two years. It has not given me any problem. Around two years back I had a small acne like thing on my chest right side and it became like this ever since. The dermatologists I have visited have said it is nothing to worry about, but I just want an opinion. I fear and hope it is not a skin cancer.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• Is there any complaint in it?
  • Do you have any pain or burning sensation or itching?

Revert back with the asked details to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

No doctor, I do not have any pain or burning or itching. Please do let me know what you think about this as it worries me from time to time. I would really appreciate a detailed answer of your views. Thank you.

#

I have gone through your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Do not worry; it is just the hypertrophic scar (raised scar due to excess collagen deposits).
  • It will remain as such, but rarely can it subside too. It is a reaction pattern of body to injury.
  • It can be treated by intralesional steroid injection.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

I hope there is nothing to worry about. I have another query. I am attaching a picture of the chest (circled part) which is slightly of a different color when compared to other parts of the chest. Is this due to dry skin? When I do not moisturize it or wet it for few days it becomes sort of reddish, otherwise it is in this brownish black color. Please help.

#

Please send few more good quality photographs taken closely and also from a distance.

• Any complaints in it? Any other area affected?
  • How long it has been there?

Revert back with the details and clear snaps to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

No major complaints and no other area affected. I have sent photos from nearby distance. It has been like this for a year or so. Please help.

#

• Since it is one of the most seborrheic sites, erythema and dryness is due to seborrheic dermatitis.
  • You can apply DesOwen cream (Desonide) twice daily for a month.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|