Q. How to treat the weird redness on my cheeks?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 04, 2020

I have some weird redness on my cheeks all the time no matter what weather it is. I have attached my photos for your reference. It is just there and it does not hurt at all. But, I want to overcome it. Is there any way? I am 18 years old now. Thank you.

#

Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have seen your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and description. It looks like melasma or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

Melasma is an acquired pigmentation of sun-exposed areas. Areas that receive excessive sun exposure, including the cheeks, upper lip, chin and the forehead are the most common locations. Melasma can be difficult to treat. The pigment of melasma develops gradually and the resolution is also gradual

Regarding treatment, there are certain general measures to follow:

• Avoid direct sunlight.
  • Use broad brimmed hat if you go out in sun.
  • Use skin lightening cream during night hours like Clearz cream (Kojic Acid) or Depiwhite cream
  • Use broad spectrum physical sunscreen during day hour and repeat four hourly.

Other treatment options are, Glycolic acid chemical peel, Nd:YAG laser (neodymium-doped yttrium aluminium garnet) with variable results. You need regular follow up with dermatologist.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|