Q. I have had this little bump on my stomach for a few years. What could this be?

Published on Jul 08, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 17, 2019

I have had this little bump on my stomach for a few years. I have attached a picture of the bump. I have shaved the area to give you a better picture. The bump is not growing or increasing in size. It has been the same size. What could this be?

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

I have seen the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Since there are many causes of nodule and complete history with good clinical examination is necessary to diagnose the nodule, I would like to give a differential diagnosis of what could it be.

Although it is looking more like a dermatofibroma, other possibilities are sebaceous cyst, pilomatrixoma, calcinosis cutis, folliculoma, and dermoid cyst.

However, almost all these conditions are benign and simple surgical excision is the treatment of choice. I would suggest you visit a local dermatologist so that he could palpate the lesion and can reach the diagnosis.

I am 29 year old male. The bump is on my stomach just below the chest. There are no other symptoms associated with it. It does not bleed. Hair grows through it.

#

This is the most common site for hypertrophic scars. Intralesional steroid injection is the treatment of choice for a hypertrophic scar. Hypertrophic scar usually has a tendency to regress with time but, in some cases, it can remain as such also.

The other common entity from which hair can grow and can occur at this site is trichofolliculoma. For trichofolliculoma, simple surgical excision is the treatment of choice.

If it is not bothering you, then no treatment is required. All the conditions that I have mentioned are benign and do not carry the chances of malignancy.