Why do I have a small bump on my stomach for the past few years?

Q. I have had this little bump on my stomach for a few years. What could this be?

Answered by
Dr. Atishay Bukharia
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 08, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 12, 2022

Hello doctor,

I have had this little bump on my stomach for a few years. I have attached a picture of the bump. I have shaved the area to give you a better picture. The bump is not growing or increasing in size. It has been the same size. What could this be?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have seen the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Since there are many causes of nodule and complete history with good clinical examination is necessary to diagnose the nodule, I would like to give a differential diagnosis of what could it be.

Although it is looking more like a dermatofibroma, other possibilities are sebaceous cyst, pilomatrixoma, calcinosis cutis, folliculoma, and dermoid cyst.

However, almost all these conditions are benign and simple surgical excision is the treatment of choice. I would suggest you visit a local dermatologist so that he could palpate the lesion and can reach the diagnosis.

Thank you doctor,

I am 29 year old male. The bump is on my stomach just below the chest. There are no other symptoms associated with it. It does not bleed. Hair grows through it.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

This is the most common site for hypertrophic scars. Intralesional steroid injection is the treatment of choice for a hypertrophic scar. Hypertrophic scar usually has a tendency to regress with time but, in some cases, it can remain as such also.

The other common entity from which hair can grow and can occur at this site is trichofolliculoma. For trichofolliculoma, simple surgical excision is the treatment of choice.

If it is not bothering you, then no treatment is required. All the conditions that I have mentioned are benign and do not carry the chances of malignancy.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How to get rid of a small bulge of extra skin on my thumb?

.. read your concern. It seems you have developed hypertrophic scar or lichen simplex chronicus. Please attach a picture for better evaluation and best possible treatment. Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> .   Read full

I am having a chalazion. What should be done to cure it?

.. is caused when glands (meibomian glands) in eyelids are blocked. Chalazion sometimes reduces with anti-inflammatory drops but very less. There are two options left now since it has not reduced, intralesional steroid injection or surgery (Incision and   Read full

Please tell me the treatment to remove scar on my face.

.. seen your query and concern and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). With your descriptions and given picture, it seems you have a hypertrophic scar (raised scar due to excess collagen deposits).   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.