Q. Is Prozac a better alternative for Paroxetine?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been suffering from severe anxiety disorder for the past two years. It all started with a severe panic attack then I was diagnosed with acute hypochondriac. I have been always worrying about my heart health and fearing that any time I may get an attack. This has reduced my quality of life considerably. I am on Paroxetine CR 12.5 mg one tablet a day for the past one year and it does helped me to cope up with my fear. I feel normal now but could not stop Paroxetine. I am getting withdrawal symptoms like dizziness, racing heart beat and high BP. I would like to gradually taper Paroxetine. Is Prozac a better option? Please help me.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I can understand your concern.

• Hypochondriasis is a serious anxiety condition which cause severe symptoms and fear about health condition.
  • Both Paroxetine and Prozac (Fluoxetine) are the drugs belonging to SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) group of drugs.
  • You are on Paroxetine CR 12.5 and if you are feeling better and stable then you can reduce the dose of the drug.
  • Other option is to start taking Prozac and once you become stable on Prozac 20 mg per day then you can reduce the dose to 10 mg per day followed by completely stopping the drug. This would not cause any serious withdrawal symptoms.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|