Q. Does a low testosterone level cause lack of facial and chest hair?

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

A 28-years-old male is having excessive precum, bladder discharge, and inconsistent sleep for six years. He do not experience any nightfall and do not have facial and chest hair. His testosterone level is around 4.

Kindly help.

#

Your statement and the report of your hormonal test show low serum testosterone of 4, while the normal range is 8-12 g/dL. It seems to be an issue of hormones since puberty. It requires a complete examination of genitalia and laboratory investigations.

On examination, small-sized testes or the absence of one or both testes can be there.

A further test for serum LH (luteinizing hormone), FSH (follicular stimulating hormone), prolactin, and semen analysis is also needed. Additional ultrasound of the scrotum is required.

This is the first step, and if required karyotyping could be done.

To end up in appropriate diagnosis, I need a picture of your scrotum and the results of the laboratory tests mentioned above.

Kind regards.

Thanks for the reply.

I will get back to you with the reports. In addition to the previous complaints he also has mild alopecia.

Please give your opinion.

Thanks.

#

Alopecia might be hereditary or acquired from hormonal imbalances. Hormonal imbalances like high testosterone cause it but in his case testosterone is low. So it is likely to be hereditary and best treatment is hair transplantation. Please keep me updated and follow up with test reports. Kind regards.

|