Q. Got skin whitening as a side effect of Gleevec. Will this go away?

Dr. Prasad Eswaran
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

I have CML-CP. I am on Gleevec for the last one year. My query is about the skin whitening as it has turned too white. Will this side effect go away?

Dr. Prasad Eswaran

Hematology Medical Oncology Pain Medicine Radiotherapy
#

• Skin whitening is technically called hypopigmentation. This is the usual side effect of Gleevec (Imatinib) and usually harmless.
  • Usually, it is reversible once the drug is stopped. However, evidences for stopping the drug are limited and no consensus exists on drug cessation when cured of CML (chronic myeloid leukemia).
  • I would suggest you to consult an oncologist about drug cessation if you are in complete molecular remission as evaluated by BCR-ABL test and completed a minimum of five to eight years of therapy.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|