Q. My baby has a white spot on his back. Is it vitiligo?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 4 week old baby has a white spot on his back. Is it vitiligo?

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen your query and concern.

• With your descriptions it seems your child may have pityriasis alba (fine, dry and pale patches). Pityriasis alba is a treatable disease and more common in childhood or it may be pre vitiligo.
  • Please get reviewed with picture for better evaluation and the best possible treatment of your concern.

Revert back with the picture to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Please find the attached picture. The texture of that patch is same as his skin. His pediatrician said it is just eczema, but I am concerned.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• It is a hypopigmentation, which is suggestive of pityriasis alba or atopic dermatitis. In vitiligo, there will be depigmentation.
  • I suggest Fluticasone 0.05% local application twice daily for five days and use moisturizer Aquasoft-FC twice daily before application of Fluticasone for a month.
  • I also suggest Moisturex Syndet soap for bathing. Consult his doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Revert back after a month to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

The same cream was prescribed by his pediatrician and I have been using it for the past four days. I will get it reviewed at his 6th week visit. Are you sure that it is not vitiligo?

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• At this point of time, if a patient is responding to Fluticasone, then definitely it is not vitiligo.
  • Sometimes, early vitiligo looks like pityriasis alba. But, do not worry. You keep applying moisturizing cream and get review after one month.

|