Q. My baby has a white spot on his back. Is it vitiligo?

Published on Sep 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 4 week old baby has a white spot on his back. Is it vitiligo?

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen your query and concern.

• With your descriptions it seems your child may have pityriasis alba (fine, dry and pale patches). Pityriasis alba is a treatable disease and more common in childhood or it may be pre vitiligo.
  • Please get reviewed with picture for better evaluation and the best possible treatment of your concern.

Revert back with the picture to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Please find the attached picture. The texture of that patch is same as his skin. His pediatrician said it is just eczema, but I am concerned.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• It is a hypopigmentation, which is suggestive of pityriasis alba or atopic dermatitis. In vitiligo, there will be depigmentation.
  • I suggest Fluticasone 0.05% local application twice daily for five days and use moisturizer Aquasoft-FC twice daily before application of Fluticasone for a month.
  • I also suggest Moisturex Syndet soap for bathing. Consult his doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Revert back after a month to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

The same cream was prescribed by his pediatrician and I have been using it for the past four days. I will get it reviewed at his 6th week visit. Are you sure that it is not vitiligo?

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• At this point of time, if a patient is responding to Fluticasone, then definitely it is not vitiligo.
  • Sometimes, early vitiligo looks like pityriasis alba. But, do not worry. You keep applying moisturizing cream and get review after one month.

| 

Please suggest tips for very dry skin.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 20 year old female. I have too much dry skin. I mean extra dry skin. I use almond oil and moisturizing soap, but it is not effective.  Read Full »

Please help with itchy red rashes on the thigh.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a problem with dry skin and rashes. I have a history of atopic eczema on the neck for which I am applying Flutivate cream. 4 weeks back some red rashes started coming up with itching. I thought it is because of dry skin, so I applied coconut oil and moisturizer. The redness ha...  Read Full »

Surgical Management of Vitiligo

Article Overview: Surgery for vitiligo is a good option for a patient who is not responding to medical treatment. But, patients are not aware of this option. This article discusses about surgical management of vitiligo. Read Article

Vitiligo, also known as white patch disease, is characterized by amelanotic or hypomelanotic patches anywhere over the body. Till date, there is no definite etiology known for vitiligo. This skin disease has great social consequences in our modern society in spite of it being non-contagious in natur...  Read Article