Q. Am I on the right dose of Levothyroxine?

I am a 35-year-old female and I have a history of Grave's disease, treated with radioactive iodine 15 years ago and have been on Levothyroxine ever since. I have symptoms of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism and my medication has been increased several times in the past due to high TSH. I am having headaches in my temples, Raynaud's, chin acne and chin hair growth. I have elevated BUN, creatinine ratio of 23 and a history of slightly elevated AST. There are joint pains and Raynaud's with swelling ankles, red joints at rest, some finger swelling and dizziness on standing, possibly hypertensive and speeding sensation.

I have burning pressure behind my eyes and sensitivity to daylight. My last TSH was elevated with low free T3 and borderline high free T4. What could possibly be the cause that I should talk to my doctor about?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
MBBCH
General Medicine, Internal Medicine

One of the most common complications of radioactive iodine therapy is hypothyroidism.

I suggest that you increase the dose to 150 mcg. Some patients may require up to 300 mcg so do not worry about the dose. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

Also from what you have mentioned there is a high possibility that you have other autoimmune diseases like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis.

So I suggest that you perform a full immune lab test profile like ANA (antinuclear antibody), anti-double-stranded DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid), RF (rheumatoid factor), anti-CCP (cyclic citrullinated peptides), Anti Ro, LA, anti-Jo, C-ANCA (cytoplasmic antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein).

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am uploading copies of my latest lab work. My biggest complaint right now is these horrible headaches behind my eyes and at the back of my head. I am also continuing to have Raynaud's and my joints feel extreme pressure from my elbows down and knees down to my toes. My toes and finger joints will turn red and be very hot and achy sometimes as well. My doctor said she thinks my Raynaud's is idiopathic based on results, but I am still not feeling well.

I cannot handle cold at all and taking showers is getting very uncomfortable in my legs and feet. I am noticing swelling in my hands and feet and my veins are bulging, worse with heat or at rest. In fact, I am quite swollen in my hands when lying down. Am I starting to question a circulatory problem? I do get slightly pink in my cheeks periodically, but it doesn't look as severe as malar rash pictures I see online. This is mostly with activity or after showering. Any ideas on how to proceed? I am thinking of seeking a new physician.

MBBCH
General Medicine, Internal Medicine

I have checked all the attached reports (I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

All results are within normal except the ANA (antinuclear antibody) test which is most probably an indicator of autoimmune disease.

Speckled pattern is found in many conditions like systemic lupus, systemic sclerosis, mixed connective tissue disease and myositis.

I suggest that you run the following tests in order to identify the cause: Anti Smith antibodies,anti-RNP (ribonucleoprotein) anti-Jo, anti-LA, and anti Scl-70.

• I suggest you take Paracetamol 1000 MG tablet every eight hours for headaches.
  • Norvasc 5 mg tablet once daily in the morning plus nitroglycerin ointment is twice daily.
  • Keep your extremities warm and wear gloves and socks all times. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

Follow up as required.

I will be sure to have these done right away.

MBBCH
General Medicine, Internal Medicine

Raynaud's is caused by narrowing of blood vessels of the hands and feet.

The medications I have prescribed dilate the vessels.

Kindly advise on the dose of Levothyroxine as I had a severe reaction for Nature-Thyroid?
Query: Hi doctor, I was switched to Nature-Throid. Within nine days, I had a severe reaction. It caused panic attacks at night, waking up in sweat and insomnia. Then, my naturopath took me off and said to go back to my Levothyroxine. I take 88 mcg daily and 25 mcg once a week. I just realized that I forgo...  Read Full »
Dr. Deep Dutta
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good that you are off nature thyroid. Its responses are unpredictable and reactions are common. Levothyroxine is the best and the safest. It is good that you are back on Levothyroxine. I think you should just continue 88 mcg of Levothyroxine daily in the empty stoma...  Read Full »

How do I manage my rheumatoid arthritis until I wait for my specialist?
Query: Hello doctor, My primary care physician said that I may have RA. My ESR rate was 27, my CRP was 14.1 and my CCP antibody IgG was 500. What does this mean? I have heard a high CCP result could indicate more aggression in my RA, if that is what I have.  Read Full »
Dr. Divya Agarwal
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the chances that you have RA (rheumatoid arthritis) or are developing it, are high. Anti-CCP antibodies are associated with RA and may also indicate an aggressive disease. However, there are various prognostic markers. This is only one of them. A high ESR and CRP,...  Read Full »

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your symptoms are not related to thyroid issue. You could be having a viral infection. So, I suggest you to take tablet Zerodol P (combination of Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) three times a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the me...  Read Full »

Should hypothyroidism medicine be given for TSH level 8.12?
Query: Hello doctor, My mother aged 75 years has TSH 8.12. She has adrenalism and takes Hisone 12 mg daily. Should she be administered medicine for hypothyroidism?  Read Full »
Dr. Mit Dharsandiya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are higher chances of hypothyroidism in a patient who has hypoadrenalism (Addison's disease). These both conditions can be the manifestation of the same underlying process (autoimmune). If your mother is symptomatic (weakness, dry skin, hair loss, constipation,...  Read Full »

Can a double dose of Levothyroxine help until I get to see a doctor?
Query: Hello doctor, I got my lab results recently. I have an appointment with the thyroid doctor in a week. I am afraid of going to the ER plus I have muscle spasms, body jerks, and confusion. Two days ago, I took a double levothyroxine dose of 125 mcg. Yesterday, I added 5 mcg synthetic T3, ma...  Read Full »
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have hypothyroidism. I suggest that you take tablet Levothyroxine 50 mcg once daily keeping in mind your age and based on your weight and lab results. Consult your specialist doct...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis?
Query: Hello doctor, I am diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I have swelling on ankles, elbows and some fingers along with deformity in right wrist. Currently, I am taking ayurvedic medication. I need consultation.  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, have completed your family, and do not want to conceive further, then start DMARDS (disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs), Methotrexate 15 mg once a week and Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg morning and evening if you have ac...  Read Full »

Placenta Previa and Low-Lying Placenta
What Are the Alternatives to Wearing Glasses?
Smart Ways to Lose Weight