Q. What can cause irregular periods and feeling of incomplete bowel emptying?

Dr. Viral Dineshchandra Vyas
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 13, 2019

Over the past 3 months, my periods have become irregular. It was regular throughout my life. I faced spotting between periods and had been detected with a submucosal fibroid of 2 cm. For the past 3 months, I feel in the morning after passing bowels, that my bowel has not cleared. This feeling of incomplete evacuation of bowel remains till noon. I drink nearly 2 liters of water in the morning to noon. With more water, I feel bowel pressure, but do not need to pass it always. My usual bowel movement is one time a day and on some days it is twice.

#

I understand that your periods are irregular and you have a feeling of incomplete evacuation of bowel. This type of combination is seen in hypothyroidism. So you need to check your thyroid function after consulting a physician. These two problems can also be totally unrelated in that case you need to consult a gynecologist for periods problem.

For bowel, you can take high-fiber diets, specifically diet rich in fruits and green leafy vegetables. Regular timing of food and a good healthy breakfast are also very important.

If the problem persistents, you may need medication. Initially, medicated fibers like Isabgol also known as Ispaghula and others after consulting physician or gastroenterologist.

|