Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. How to manage heavy menstrual flow?

Answered by
Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I have been suffering from heavy menstrual flow for the past 1.5 years. Around six months, I had heavy flow with clots.

Now, I have been menstruating for the past 20 days continuously with heavy flow and clots.

My current medication includes capsule Gynae CVP, tablet Augmentin and capsule Zevit.

I am also having a urine infection now. For this, I am drinking plenty of water and other fluid. Please help.

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

You are losing blood heavily. Kindly upload your reports as well.

Since you are bleeding for the last 20 days continuously, first we should try to stop this. I suggest tablet Meftaris (combination of Tranexamic acid and Mefenamic acid) one tablet thrice a day for three days and also tablet Regestrone (Norethindrone) 5 mg thrice a day for 5 days. This will certainly control the bleeding.

Also, start some Iron preparation if it suits you. By that time send your ultrasound report.

It can be a fibroid uterus or abnormal uterine bleeding due to endometrial hyperplasia and need to be followed further. Also get your CBC - complete blood count, coagulation profile and thyroid function tests done.

For UTI (urinary tract infection), you are already taking antibiotics. After finishing its course, get a routine urine examination again to see if pus cells are present or not.

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

I have attached the ultrasound report for your reference.

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome back to

I have seen your ultrasound report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

There is a small fibroid, which is not the cause of heavy bleeding. Do not worry about the simple cyst in the ovary.

The inner uterine lining is quite thick and you need to get one endometrial biopsy done from your gynecologist. This will serve two purposes.

One it will stop bleeding and the other we can get the sample and send for histopathology to see the type of hyperplasia and this will decide the further line of management.

Before test take only tablet Meftaris to reduce the amount of bleeding. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Another thing is that there is a significant amount of residual urine, which might be causing recurrent UTI. Consult your doctor for a physical evaluation.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Post fibroids operation there is gradual deterioration in health. What to do?
Uterine fibroid detected during sixth week of pregnancy.What do I do?
Please suggest an antibiotic for recurrent urinary tract infection.

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

A Patient's Guide to Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections

Article Overview: If you have frequent urinary tract infections, here are some strategies to reduce your risk. Read Article

Dr. Davie Wong

1) Post-Menopause: As you get older, hormonal changes cause alterations to your vagina and its contents, predisposing you to urinary tract infections. Topical estrogen applied inside the vagina can reduce the risk of infections. Your doctor will decide if this treatment is right for you. 2) Sexual...  Read Article

How to treat vaginal dryness and pain following a UTI?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full »

Is UTI contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full »

Also Read

Leukorrhea (Leucorrhea) - Causes, Symptoms, Types, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
The whitish or yellowish vaginal discharge that almost all women get during the menstrual cycle is called leukorrhea. Le...  Read more»
This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.