Q. Is there any risk of radiation if HSG test is done twice?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Three years back, I conceived for the first time without any medicine but unfortunately the pregnancy ended up in miscarriage. Since 8 months I am trying to conceive now. The following year I got a HSG test and was informed that both my fallopian tubes were blocked. Doctor said laparoscopy is needed. We planned to HSG test done again now. Is there any risk, if I do HSG test for the second time? Or any risk of radiation exposure? Please suggest. Thank you.

#

I can understand your problem.

• HSG (Hysterosalpingography) is a good test. It not only will detect the block, but sometimes because of the pressure of the dye being inserted inside, the tubes sometimes open up. So, it actually at times cures the problem as well.
  • There is no significant risk of radiation as such so do not worry.
  • In case again both tubes are blocked, even I would suggest you to go for laparoscopic tube opening procedure as that is the treatment of choice.

Hope this information answers your questions. All the best.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|