Q. Can robotic-assisted partial laparoscopy be done on obese patients?

Dr. Kiran Kumar Kolla Gopalkrishna

My husband is obese and requires a robotic-assisted partial laparoscopy. I am worried about his weight 294, height 71 inches and how pneumoperitoneum may affect him during surgery. Currently, he is on Lisinopril 10 mg. There is a possibility of RCC on left kidney 2.5 cm.

#

I understand from your query that you are very worried. It is a major surgery. Hence, all the required guidelines will be followed, at this juncture, I like to know more about your husband habits. Does he smoke? If he smokes, how many in a day? If he does not smoke then there are quite a sophisticated ventilators for anesthesia which is used to pump oxygen to the lungs so that patient is well ventilated.

There are lot many surgeries going on with obese patients, for bariatric surgeries, robotic surgeries who require laparoscopic intervention. Anesthesia is well advanced and sophisticated now. Do not worry. He will be fine. If he smokes please tell him to abstain from it, till the surgery.

For more information consult an anesthesiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/anesthesiologist

|