Q. What can cause bloating, irregular bowel and watery stool?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering from irregular bowel. I feel burning sensation in the stomach and anus. If I eat anything spicy, I need to go to restroom immediately. My poop smells and is semisolid, sometimes watery but not like diarrhea. I am suffering with this condition for past one year. I am taking Clindamycin over a week now. What could it be? What can I do to improve my condition? Please help.

#

• You are suffering from a condition known as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Your history is a classical suggestive of that.
  • However, IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion. So, we need to be sure it is not anything else like ulcerative colitis, thyroid disorder or autonomic neuropathy.
  • Please answer few of my questions to help you better with accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
  • Is there any weight loss or abdominal pain or bloody stool?
  • Do you have diabetes? Is there any history of reddening of eyes?

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to a medical gastroenterologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

My eyes are mostly red. I used to sleep for 8 hours, still I feel tired and sleepy. There is no history of weight loss, abdominal pain, diabetes and blood in stool. I can here sounds in my stomach like burps. I feel bloating and also I am belching often.

#

• Your history is suggestive of IBS only. In fact, your sleeping issues are also related to that, as IBS is mostly a functional disorder and is most commonly seen in anxious people.
  • IBS is of three types which includes diarrhea predominant, constipation predominant and mixed variety. You seem to be suffering from IBS - diarrhea predominant.
  • However, we investigate suspected cases of IBS with thyroid profile, fasting blood sugar and ultrasound abdomen. If all investigations are normal, then you are probably suffering from irritable bowel syndrome.
  • In case you ever have had blood or mucous in stools, you are required to get colonoscopy to rule out any evidence of inflammatory bowel disease.
  1. A proton pump inhibitor like Pantoprazole and Rabeprazole, which will help in neutralizing any acid if you have in stomach.
  2. You should avoid fat and spicy diet and prefer to take soft and bland diet.
  3. You can take smooth muscle relaxant like Mebeverine for stomach pain, in case you have.
  4. In refractory cases drugs like Chlordiazepoxide and Clidinium bromide can be used, if the condition is not responding.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

I have IBS and seems to be related to SIBO. Please advise management.

Query: Hi doctor, I realize I have IBS symptoms and they seem to be related to SIBO. I need your advice on how to treat it effectively. Here are some symptoms and test results. Leaky gut or intestinal permeability with multiple food intolerances. Seems to have hydrogen sulfide based SIBO, severe farting...  Read Full »

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment

Article Overview: Irritable bowel syndrome is one of the annoying gastrointestinal tract diseases because of the chronic nature of the disease and the variety of symptoms that can interfere with your daily life. Read Article

Dr. Mahmoud Abdallah Elashkar

Irritable bowel syndrome is a functional disturbance of colonic motility without organic causes. IBS is characterized by abdominal pain and altered bowel habits. Causes:  Unknown, but psychological disturbance plays a role. Symptoms: IBS is known to have a long history with long interval pe...  Read Article

Antibiotic-Associated Diarrhea (AAD)

Article Overview: Antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD) is the passing of watery stools after taking antibiotics. It results from infection by antibiotic-resistant pathogens. Read Article

Dr. Geethu Thomas

The consequences of long-term antibiotic administration are diarrhea, antibiotic resistance, impaired immunity, increased cost of treatment, organ failures and deaths and reduction in beneficial phytoestrogens. Antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD) is unexplained diarrhea associated with the use of a...  Read Article

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»