Q. What could be the reason for my acidity and chest heaviness?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

9 years before, I delivered my first baby. Since after delivery, I have suffered from breathing problem. Only when I release the gas or pass motion, I use to feel relieved. I underwent all the tests and everything was normal. It lasted for 2 years and then subsided. My diet was completely bland without spices and oil. Around, 1.5 years ago, I delivered my third baby. Since then, I have severe acidity, heaviness in chest, uneasiness near the heart and pressure in the neck. The problem present all day and I feel fine once I release the gas or pass motion. I have tried all acidity tablets, but in vain. I am only taking vegetarian food, plain gravy and rice. I cannot eat any other food as it makes my condition worse. ECG, echo, TMT, endoscopy, 24 hours monitoring test and x-ray has been done and everything was normal. But, my problems getting worse day by day. I have even tried herbal treatment, but no use. I am damn upset because of my health.

#

• Your symptoms are related to a gastric problem. Try to avoid herbal medication as some of them are irritating to stomach and worsen the acidity.
  • Your symptoms and normal investigations suggest the possibility of IBS (irritable bowel disease) or indigestion from decreased acid production from stomach.
  • IBS is a physiological condition in which digestion will be affected due to lack of proper intestinal digestive enzymes from many reasons. This condition cannot be detected in CT scan or endoscopy.
  • Helicobacter pylori infection in the stomach produces gastritis and indigestion due to less production of acid in the stomach. You should do RUT test (rapid urease test) on a punch biopsy tissue of stomach taken during endoscopy.
  • This infection is not serious and it requires proper antibiotic therapy. Along with that, you can take intestinal digestive enzyme supplementation to improve your symptoms.

Helicobacter pylori infection.

RUT test.

IBS.

Antral gastritis.

Treatment for acidity, H.pylori infection and indigestion.

Revert back with the reports to a medical gastroenterologist.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

How to recover from altitude sickness?

Query: Hello doctor,I have got really bad mountain (altitude) sickness before five days. They put me on oxygen and gave me a pill at the airport. I traveled back to sea level and seemed to be recovering. I traveled in a car the last couple of days, and I am now with very little medical support. I have weir...  Read Full »

Please suggest some ayurveda medicine for IBS.

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting diarrhea for five days in a month. Also, I always have loose stool. When I consulted my doctor I came to know that it is irritable bowel syndrome. I would like to get it cured through ayurveda medicine. Please suggest me a treatment.  Read Full »

What are the specific ways to bring down the symptoms of IBS?

Query: Hi doctor, Please say about the specific ways to reduce the IBS symptoms.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»