Q. I have shortness of breath with deviated nasal septum and high IgE level. Please help.

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 21, 2020

I have shortness of breath since a month, and it usually normalizes within an hour. I am suffering from deviated nasal septum and diabetes. My IgE level is 468. Please help.

I am currently on Metformin, Suslisent, Diamicron, Serta 25 mg, Zapiz for depression and Montek LC for deviated septum and two steroidal nasal sprays.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from sudden shortness of breath for one month and chest tightness. You are a diagnosed patient of DM (diabetes mellitus) with DNS (deviated nasal septum) and your serum IgE level is 468 IU/ml which is significantly high (normal value<100). Serum IgE level can be raised significantly in patients with allergic rhinitis, hay fever, bronchial asthma, atophy, etc.

So according to your investigation result and your presenting clinical features like shortness of breath and chest tightness may result from any respiratory disease condition such as bronchial asthma. You can undergo a reversibility test for confirming asthma and CXR (chest x-ray) to exclude other respiratory causes. Reversibility test is known as increasing of FEV1 more than 15% after using of bronchodilator inhalation by using spirometry.

Other causes such as COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), bronchitis, pneumonia, pneumothorax, acid reflux, any type of cardiac disease, anemia, anxiety, allergic reactions, and interstitial lung disease, etc. So you should undergo CBC (complete blood count) with circulating eosinophil count, ECG (echocardiogram), echo, barium swallow, etc., to find out the underlying cause for your present sufferings and then treat them accordingly.

In the meantime, you can take Salbutamol inhaler or nebulization with Salbutamol three to four times daily with taking Fexofenadine and Montelukast at bedtime.

In case of any other query knock me and I will try to reply to you further.

| 

Is surgery necessary for DNS?

Query: Hi doctor, I have allergic rhinitis problem for the last two years. I have taken ayurveda and homeopathic treatment. It has improved, but not completely. I have DNS. Do I need surgery?  Read Full »

What is the treatment for deviated nasal septum and sinusitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My 23 years old daughter has been suffering from a blocked nose for the past three months. She took Sinarest and Cefixime antibiotics tablets, and Nasivion S drops. She has only temporary relief from nose block. So, we took a CT scan of PNS (paranasal sinuses) recently. Clinical findi...  Read Full »

How to cure my father's severe cold and cough?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 66 years old. He is having severe cough and cold for more than a month. He took Clavam 625 mg for five days. Along with that, he also took Foracort 200 mcg inhaler twice a day and Nasonex inhaler twice a day, but there was no relief. Then, our chest specialist suggested Neb...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Pulmonologist Now