Q. How can I reverse fluid retention in my nose and lips?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 22 year old, and every morning my nose and lips appear swollen due to fluid retention, but as the day goes, it usually subsides. However recently, it is not going away, which means that every time my nose swells up, it remains that way. Does this mean the drainage system is blocked? How do I get around this? How can I reverse fluid retention in my nose? I am not on any medication and do not have any health issues.

#

• This could be due to the following reasons:
  1. Water retention, to avoid this you should limit alcohol and salt intake and drink adequate amounts of water.
  2. Allergy, you might be allergic to feathers of your pillow or material of your pillowcase or allergic sinusitis. If you put a lotion or cream before going to bed it might be the cause. Stop all lotions for a couple of days and monitor your face.
  3. The height of your pillow may not be suitable.
  • If you excluded all the above factors, then you need to get a thyroid profile done, as hypothyroidism may lead to morning puffiness.

For further queries consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

I am aware of everything you have mentioned, and it does not relate to me. That is why I was thinking there is an issue with my drainage system. Is it?

#

• Impaired lymphatic drainage is not likely in your condition as it occurs mostly due to mass or tumor blocking the drainage, which is not the case with you since you are not suffering from any other symptoms other than facial edema.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|