Q. Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Dr. Prerna Jain
Published on Nov 30, 2016

I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my insurance will be fully funded again next year. Make a trip to a neighboring country and have it treated there, as it is much lower cost compared to my country. However, the facilities are not as advanced. I have 4 cavities on the left side and some of them are quite visible. Is this a problem that I can wait for treatment or it is better to take care of it now? Also, the dentist noted that still two of my wisdom teeth not erupted yet and he mentioned it as impacted. I am 40 years old. Is it better to remove these teeth next year or monitor and wait till they cause problems? I hear it will be complicated to remove wisdom teeth after 40. So, I would like to get an opinion from you. Thank you.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

• Cavities or tooth decay is chronic infections that spread further at a slow rate in most cases. The other thing to consider is any pain or associated symptoms with the cavities, which are indicative of active acute infection that has already spread deeper.
  • So, if the cavities are without symptoms, then it would be fine to wait for a few months as well. However, depending on the current state of infection, which can be evident from x-ray, I could give a more conclusive answer.
  • About the wisdom teeth, if these are unerupted at your age, then it is recommended that you get them removed as they present a chance for cyst formation, etc. It is not urgent though. This is more prophylactic than definitive.
  • Yes, a very small chance for more complications at a later age. But, the overall complexity would have been informed by the dentist or oral surgeon already.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Thank you for the response. The left side is the one with remaining cavities. I do not have pain, but I definitely have discomfort especially while eating. Also, I have a bit of numbness or tingling on that side. Could this possibly be due to the cavities or the wisdom tooth? If it is related to the cavities, then I will take care of it as soon as possible.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

• The tingling sensation is called hypersensitivity. It is quite common to experience that when cavities are present, especially on consuming hot or cold or sweet foods.
  • As long as it is just sensitivity, it is quite alright. But, the moment it turns to pain on biting or sensitivity for a very long time that does not die down after a few minutes, then it needs to be treated as early as possible to avoid further infection of the root canals, which could be problematic.
  • But, this is not an emergency now. So, you need not worry about it.

For further doubts consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I have pain and bad smell coming from a wisdom tooth extraction site. Is it dry socket?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two wisdom teeth removed a week ago, and I still have some pain in the lower left extraction site. If I touch near the extraction site with a finger and then smell my finger, there is definitely a bad smell. I have controlled this with using another finger to touch the same place...  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. As per the symptoms and image attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like the extraction site is not healing as it appears empty. Yes, it looks like a dry socket, but a clinical examination is a must. You should not wait ...  Read Full

Why do I have teeth sensitivity, pain, and bad breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old boy. I have teeth pain and sensitivity whenever I drink something cold or hot. Why does it occur? I also have stains on my teeth. I do not smoke or drink alcohol, but my teeth do not look white. How can I improve the colour of my teeth? Also, why do I get the smell ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashish Goel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from halitosis. You must be having sensitive teeth, hence having pain or cold or hot sensation. I suggest using Sensodyne toothpaste. Try using Orahex (Chlorhexidine) gargles twice daily for bad breath. Slight staining is normal, it has to be noted ...  Read Full

Is it necessary to get wisdom teeth removed?

Query: Hello doctor, I have wisdom tooth. Is it necessary to remove it?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern. If it is giving you any sort of problem or giving you discomfort, you need to remove it immediately. There are chances of cyst formation in some cases too, if the impaction is not treated. You can dela...  Read Full