Q. I get recurrent impetigo outbreaks on my face. Will antibiotic cream help?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

I keep getting recurring impetigo outbreaks on my face. I have no idea how this keeps happening. Will change of place possibly related to my skin being extremely dry, but that cannot just be it. So I guess I am asking why does this keep happening? Can I stop impetigo from progressing the initial small blister stage if I immediately put an antibiotic ointment on it when I first see it pop up?

#

I have gone through your case.

First, you need to understand impetigo is a superficial cutaneous infection caused by staphylococcus or streptococcus. The bacteria enter into the skin when you contact any other infected products like bed linen or towel or from other persons or through cuts on the skin. Even insect bite can cause it.

The problem with dry skin is that it has many cuts or fissures. Keep your skin well moisturized. Avoid contact with the above causative agents. Early application will help you in early recovery.

On my end, I tried to convey that bacterial infections occur spontaneously, and you can take preventive measures by washing hands or beddings or avoiding contact. But there is no such oral or topical medicines which can prevent a recurrence. Moreover, only impetigo is not an indicator of an immunocompromised state. Even in decreased resistance or immunocompromised state, other infections are common and not impetigo only. Moreover, when there is a blister, it has to rupture and form crust. Crust shows that infections have recovered.

| 

What could be the cause of penis blisters?

Query: Hello doctor,I have blisters on the head of my penis due to masturbation without proper lubricant. I thought that it would heal by itself in a few days but now the blister popped and the skin is very tender and hurts to the touch. Also, another blister of sort, developed on the tip. It cannot be an ...  Read Full »

How much time will it take for red rash near tip of the penis to cure?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a red rash near the tip of the penis. The doctor told me to use Mupirocin T-bact, I started applying once a day and it has been 10 days. I want to know how much time it can take for a complete cure?  Read Full »

Please help with itchy red rashes on the thigh.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a problem with dry skin and rashes. I have a history of atopic eczema on the neck for which I am applying Flutivate cream. 4 weeks back some red rashes started coming up with itching. I thought it is because of dry skin, so I applied coconut oil and moisturizer. The redness ha...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»