Q. Is there any medicine for skin allergy in a 1. 5-year-old kid?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

My worker's daughter is suffering from skin allergy, as shown in the picture. They used medications, and it worked temporarily. The kid is on normal diet. She drinks mother's milk also. Is there any medicine and cure for skin allergy of a 1.5-year-old?

#

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It seems she is having impetigo or scabies with secondary infections because I can make out lots of pustules. But you did not mention the symptoms of childlike. Is she having pain or itching? Since how long is she having these issues at present, and which medication was given in the past? Is she having a fever? Any other areas of the body affected by this?

Please get back with the details for proper evaluation and treatment.

She is having only itching. Present only on hands and legs. No fever. No pain.

Current medications are Roxithromycin oral suspension, Liv-cet (levocetirizine hydrochloride) syrup and a soap (name unknown).

#

If she is having itching only localized to hands and legs then it could be scabies with secondary infections. Scabies is an intensely itchy skin infestation caused by the mite.

The diagnosis of scabies can often be made clinically with a pruritic rash with the itching occurs predominantly at night and characteristic linear burrows over limbs, other family members can be affected.

Regarding treatment, on day-1, you can apply single below neck application all over body of 5% Permethrin cream (HHMite) during night, leave it for 10-12 hours and then take a bath (use HHMite soap for bathing daily for seven days). Also, wash your used clothes thoroughly and use fresh clothes after a bath the next day.

Day-2, apply Fluticasone 0.05% cream plus Fusidic cream twice daily only over the affected areas for five to seven days and syrup Atarax 1 ml once daily for the same duration after consulting your GP. Get a review after one week.

|