Q. How can I confirm that whether my spotting is implantation bleeding or periods?

Published on May 16, 2019

I am 30 years old and married for 2.4 years. Now we are planning for a child. On 14th of this month, I experienced periods with very little stomach pain and pain in legs. The next day on 15th there was no bleeding at all, 16th I had spotting of light red colored blood flow, 17th the same thing happened and then the flow stopped. Again on 23rd night I had bleeding light red coloured blood flow, on 24th no bleeding at all, 25th I had fresh pink colored spotting. Then 26th pinkish brownish spotting occurred, 27th morning I did pregnancy test by urine, it came negative, and at 8 AM had brownish spotting, 28th had brownish spotting too. Please help me to know whether it is implantation bleeding or anything else.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

This is not an implantation bleed at all as even urine pregnancy test is negative. Considering that you have been having regular spotting during this month since 14th of this month with hypomenorrhoea, there are possibilities that your serum Estradiol levels are low which is a possible cause of such irregular shedding of the endometrium.

It is important that you get an ultrasound pelvis done to check for endometrial thickness which if less than 8 mm then likely that you would not conceive during this cycle. Please tell me what hormonal profile was done with thyroid levels, serum prolactin, serum progesterone, serum estradiol, FSH, LH and AMH levels to establish the cause of such irregular shedding.

What is the cause of this? Is that normal or anything to worry? Thank you sir for clearing doubts but I would like to know whether this will create issues for me to conceive in the future. What is the cause for it? Is it normal?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Yes, inadequate endometrialization can cause implantation issues. But there are chances that you may not be ovulating timely which needs to be confirmed with follicular monitoring. Please get an ultrasound pelvis done and review with reports.

This happened with me when I reduced my diet for weight loss. Is that a reason for that? Else I was having normal menstruation. I would like to know the cause. I have reduced my diet for a weight loss. Whether it can be a reason for this issue because I was getting normal menstruation till last month.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Oh of course. Please do not attempt dieting to reduce weight and plan pregnancy at the same time, this can easily set your hormonal level into imbalance and can cause such shedding of endometrium. Did you have your previous six cycles regularly? Did you have any mid-cycle spotting issues ever? How many days did your average menses last?

My regular periods last only for three days. I never experienced such things in my life ever. I am little overweight so thought of reducing weight.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Then, your dieting is the cause of such irregular spotting. As you are already mid-cycle so it is difficult to predict ovulation during this cycle and hence chances of conception are low now. Best would be to try from next cycle but do not diet. Prefer increasing water intake and brisk walking with complete avoidance of oily spicy fried fast foods.

I will need a medical treatment for this or should I wait for my next cycle? Before doing the test you have suggested, is this a serious problem? Even I want to share one more thing that during my childhood I had a palpable mass on the left pubic area and it used to pain, I had taken homeopathic treatment and it subsided but now again I get pain sometimes specially while laughing loud or coughing. What it can be?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Treatment is not recommended now. Just wait for the next cycle. Once you control your dieting, things should be fine. Regarding the palpable mass, if it pains or increases during coughing, this could be a hernia. An focussed ultrasound shall confirm the diagnosis.

Thank you so much.

My periods is delayed by nearly two weeks. What do you recommend doing?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19 years old. Last month, my period came 13 days late and this month it is 15 days over the date. My period lasts two days mostly which I think is not really healthy. What do you recommend doing?  Read Full »

Can brownish discharge after protected sex be implantation bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I had protected sex. Two weeks later, I had light brownish to light red color discharge that lasted for a day and the next day there was light brownish discharge. Is this implantation bleeding? I am worried. If so, after how days of implantation bleeding can I do blood test or hCG to dete...  Read Full »

What is the difference between implantation and withdrawal bleeding?

Query: Hello Doctor, We (me and my fiancee) had unprotected sex on the 11th day of the month (mensuration). I am very sure I did not eject that day. But for safety within 24 hours, she had taken Unwanted 72. Now after 13 days of it, before 1 to 3 days of expected periods. She got bleeding for a full day a...  Read Full »