Q. Took Unwanted 72 and bled after 13 days. Is that implantation bleeding or withdrawal bleeding?

Published on Apr 04, 2019

Hello Doctor,

We (me and my fiancee) had unprotected sex on the 11th day of the month (mensuration). I am very sure I did not eject that day. But for safety within 24 hours, she had taken Unwanted 72. Now after 13 days of it, before 1 to 3 days of expected periods. She got bleeding for a full day and continued the next day as well. Blood is of red and brown color.

1. Can you please help me? Is it implantation bleeding or withdrawal bleeding?

2. When did she get her periods?

3. When we will surely come to know there is no pregnancy?

4. When to use a pregnancy test?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is likely that she has got her withdrawal bleed which can be seen in next 7 to 10 days to post unwanted 72 intakes, however, implantation bleed occurs in next 2 to 3 days and it is often spotting to scanty bleeding and not in the good flow.

This can be confirmed by getting a serum beta hCG test (human chorionic gonadotrophin test) done which can conclusively rule out pregnancy as well, earliest by 10 days post intercourse. If the hCG levels are less than 3mIU then she is surely not pregnant and the bleed is not an implantation bleed(as it is always a retrospective diagnosis).

She would get her menses now only after a month counting from the day of the start of the withdrawal bleed as this bleed marks the day one of the starts of a fresh cycle, for sure her dates would be changed now.

| 

Thank you, doctor,

Just want to confirm, is hCG means a pregnancy test kit which we can do at home also by testing urine? When we have to do that? Now or after stop of bleeding?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is a blood test which is a gold standard to conclusively rule out pregnancy.

| 

What is withdrawal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, Emergency contraception is 95% effective means is there some chance of getting pregnant? What more precautions could be taken during sex so that there will be full surety about it? After taking it, will the periods be painful? In what way will it alter periods? Will it change the numb...  Read Full »

Does my wife's hCG levels indicate a healthy pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she has PCOD. We are trying to conceive for 2 years. We had done an IUI which failed. We did IVF, but it ended with a chemical pregnancy. Last month, our doctor did Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET). He transferred 2 embryos on that day. We got a positive result...  Read Full »

I bled after having sex. Is it implantation bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old unmarried lady. Now, I am in a very panic period of stress and in seek of your advice. I had intercourse with my fiance on the first day of my periods and again after 20 days that is on my most fertile day. I got my periods 13 days later and it lasted for around three d...  Read Full »