Q. I doubt whether it is implantation bleeding or withdrawal bleeding. Please help.

Dr. Ahmed Amdihun Essa
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2021

I am confused about whether this is withdrawal bleeding or implantation bleeding. My last period started last month, and I had unprotected sex on the eighth and ninth day after the period. I took an emergency pill on the morning of the second day of sex. From the second week of this month, I experienced a dark brown to bright red bleeding that I considered a regular flow, but it only lasted for two days. I took a pregnancy test on the third week of this month, and it was negative. I have tried the Yuzpe method a year ago and experienced the same bleeding after ten days. So I am in doubt if it is implantation bleeding or withdrawal bleeding. And when is the most effective date to take a pregnancy test? Thanks.

#

1. I have seen your query about bleeding in the middle of your period. You have a regular 30 days cycle which means your ovulation day is on the 16th day of the period.

2. Your last period was before two months, which makes the next ovulation day on the first week of this month, which is away from your days of sex (last day of the previous month and first day of this month). It is impossible to fertilize eight days before the day of ovulation and unlikely to be implantation bleeding.

3. Your period is prolonged because of the affected proliferative phases of menstruation.

4. The best time to test for pregnancy is today. If it turns to be negative, you are not pregnant for that intercourse and this period. I hope you got the answers.

|