Q. I have twin baby girls. One of them is not gaining weight. Please help.

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Published on Mar 21, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 27, 2018

I had a month old twin baby girls. They were born in the 34th week of pregnancy. One baby was 2.2 Kg, and the other was a little weaker weighing 2 Kg. Since there is not enough mother's milk after several attempts, I had to go for artificial milk powder. Initially, as suggested by the hospital pediatrician, they were given Dexolac Special Care, but after 20th day when their weight was around 2.4 Kg, they were given to Dexolac Premium 1. Out of the 2 babies, the weaker baby is responding well and quickly gaining weight (taking around 75 ml milk every 3 hours). But the baby which was born stronger is not drinking sufficient milk (45 ml in one feed, at an interval of around 3 hours), and is taking around an hour to take one feed. Also, she is having issues of gas and constipation. Because of constipation, she keeps crying. Now, this baby is not gaining weight and seem to be weaker. Please suggest what we can do in this case and shall we switch her milk to Lactogen or some other company?

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Keep trying to give breastfeeds as much as possible till 6 months completion. Different brands of milk powder have different tastes. So, you can change what they like (as advised). Do not dilute more or give more concentrated milk. Usually, dilution mentioned on the package can be followed, that is, 30 ml for 1 scoop for most of the brands. But check with the manufractures' note. Do not use feeding bottle. Use bowl and spoon.You can use undiluted dairy milk (pasteurized). Check with your local pediatrician for supplements if needed. Check if there is adequate weight gain. Maintain proper hygiene while feeding, when using formula feed or top milk. Do not compromise on hygiene.

I would like to know the following:

1. What supplement do you use now?
  2. How do you prepare it?
  3. How do you feed the babies?
  4. How much (quantity) do you feed them?
  5. How do you measure the quantity?
  6. How about the acceptability from both of them?
  7. Do you maintain a chart regarding the weight gain? If so, please attach it in the follow-up query.
  8. Do they have any other medical issues?

Finally, breastfeeding is the best for the babies.

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?

Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby. Read Article

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age...  Read Article

While breastfeeding, can I get my damaged tooth out?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 4-month-baby boy. I am doing breastfeeding. My tooth is entirely damaged. So I am planning to remove my tooth. Is it correct or not? I am taking medicine for it. Please tell me a suggestion.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is better to remove a damaged tooth. You can take some antibiotics and painkiller medicines. Take Amoxicillin 500 mg for three days after extraction. It does not affect your kid. Ask your dentist about particular medications while breastfeeding. For more information...  Read Full

My 18 weeks old baby is becoming irritable, crying, and biting her hands. Could this be teething?

Query: Hello doctor,My 18 weeks old baby appears to have less interest in her bottles. She is only drinking approximately 20 to 24 ounces of milk instead of the recommended 30 to 35. She has become more irritable, crying, biting her hands and tethers. When I give her a bottle, she drinks a few ounces then ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Laurent Hiffler
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your feelings and preoccupations. I might have to ask you a few more questions but here are some attempts to give you a beginning of an answer. Well, I would be dishonest if I would send you the miracle answer. But let us try together. What was your little...  Read Full