Q. What causes increased bladder wall thickness?

Dr. Vaibhav

My bladder wall is 7 mm wide, and my voiding is not good. Frequent ejaculation closes the voiding duct. The prostate is normal but has calcifications in the center. My sister has bladder issues too.

Please help me, doctor.

#

An increase in bladder wall thickness suggests obstruction in the flow of urine. Obstruction causes bladder muscle hypertrophy. You will need a physical examination and a cystoscopy test (it is an endoscopy to see for obstruction in the urethra and bladder from inside). Proper and specific treatment can be planned once the cause of an increase in bladder wall thickness is diagnosed.

The doctor I visited gave me a potential cause for my condition but did not comment on the other possibilities. So can you please explain in detail my condition and comment on my ultrasound?

#

An increase in the thickness of the bladder wall is very common and can happen due to various reasons. Your ultrasound (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) is not conclusive. In your case, it is not medically possible to conclude just based on ultrasound. As mentioned before, you will need further investigation to find the cause. Hypotension and varicose veins are not related to bladder problems.

Your sister's conditions may not apply to you as the cause of bladder problems in males and females are different. However, you will need to meet a urologist near you for a physical examination of your prostate (as your prostate has calcification). Physical examination and serum prostate-specific antigen tests are essential to rule out prostatic malignancy. Also, a uroflowmetry test to assess urine flow should be done. Then it can be decided if you need cystoscopy to look for the cause of bladder conditions from inside.

Without complete evaluation and proper diagnosis, treatment cannot be planned.

|