Q. How to reduce high uric acid?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have attached the laboratory report of my husband. Currently, he is not on any medication. His uric acid is high as per the report. Please examine the reports and let me know if any supplement required. Thanks.

#

I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.

I will comment thoroughly on the laboratory results (attachment removed to protect patient identity) which are deranged ones and that is more than only uric acid or iron.

1. He has deranged high lipid profile and uric acid is also high. For the best of his health he needs to go for a regular physical activity and jogging. If unable to do outside, better to join the gym and keep it in routine. It will help him lower the numbers.
2. He also has to refrain from fatty and high protein meals. No proteins from animal source and no fats. This lifestyle modification can ensure better results for him.
3. For iron, he definitely needs to take green leafy vegetables like spinach, fruits such as avocado and kiwi. Along with this he needs to have salmon, skimmed milk, and an Iron supplement tablet like Fer-In-Sol.
4. He needs to keep away from any illicit drugs, smoking and alcohol. His liver enzymes are also out of range and needs strict control as said.
5. Spend 20 minutes in direct sunlight and remember to wear sunglasses and apply sunscreen lotion to avoid skin damages. It is better to take vitamin D normal.
6. He needs to lose weight and keep a balanced body shape. He is going towards prediabetes I am afraid. So, please ask him to reduce weight and keep the BMI (body mass index) below 24.9. Right now he has 31.88 and that is too much.

Six to eight weeks after starting all that I have mentioned above go for another blood work and revert back.
1. Fasting blood sugar levels and HbA1c levels.
2. Fasting lipid profile.
3. Vitamin D levels.
4. Free T3 levels.
5. Free T4 levels.
6. Serum iron studies.

Revert back with the investigation report after six to eight weeks for a follow up to a general medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|