Q. How to reduce high uric acid?

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I have attached the laboratory report of my husband. Currently, he is not on any medication. His uric acid is high as per the report. Please examine the reports and let me know if any supplement required. Thanks.



Welcome to

I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.

The Probable causes:

I will comment thoroughly on the laboratory results (attachment removed to protect patient identity) which are deranged ones and that is more than only uric acid or iron.

1. He has deranged high lipid profile and uric acid is also high. For the best of his health he needs to go for a regular physical activity and jogging. If unable to do outside, better to join the gym and keep it in routine. It will help him lower the numbers.
2. He also has to refrain from fatty and high protein meals. No proteins from animal source and no fats. This lifestyle modification can ensure better results for him.
3. For iron, he definitely needs to take green leafy vegetables like spinach, fruits such as avocado and kiwi. Along with this he needs to have salmon, skimmed milk, and an Iron supplement tablet like Fer-In-Sol.
4. He needs to keep away from any illicit drugs, smoking and alcohol. His liver enzymes are also out of range and needs strict control as said.
5. Spend 20 minutes in direct sunlight and remember to wear sunglasses and apply sunscreen lotion to avoid skin damages. It is better to take vitamin D normal.
6. He needs to lose weight and keep a balanced body shape. He is going towards prediabetes I am afraid. So, please ask him to reduce weight and keep the BMI (body mass index) below 24.9. Right now he has 31.88 and that is too much.

Investigations to be done:

Six to eight weeks after starting all that I have mentioned above go for another blood work and revert back.
1. Fasting blood sugar levels and HbA1c levels.
2. Fasting lipid profile.
3. Vitamin D levels.
4. Free T3 levels.
5. Free T4 levels.
6. Serum iron studies.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the investigation report after six to eight weeks for a follow up to a general medicine physician online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How can I reduce weight?

But it seems like my weight plateaued ... So for now, I am frustrated and worried why am I not losing weight ...   Read full

My mom met with two major falls. Is that due to Achilles tendon weakness?

.. gone through your mother's elaborative history provided here, along with the reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) with this query. She has mild osteoarthritic changes in the lumbosacral region with osteoarthritis knee...   Read full

Is there a permanent remedy to get rid of psoriasis?

Hello doctor, Yesterday, I had three wisdom teeth removal and a bit of other work. My right side feels completely pain-free but the bottom left is hurting so bad. Pain comes and goes and I am absolutely terrified of dry socket but when I try to have ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»
Importance of Sex Hormones - Types, Functions, Normal Ranges, and Roles
Sex hormones are steroids produced in the body that control sexual development, pregnancy, and overall health. Read belo...  Read more»
Fallopian Tubes - Anatomy, Function, and Diseases Affecting It
Fallopian tubes are important structures of the female reproductive tract. This article discusses the same below.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.