Q. My testis hurts after sex and getting bowel movements with blood. Is it a side effect of Suboxone?

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2021

I am a 35-year-old male. I have been taking Suboxone for about ten years daily never really missed a day taking the medication. I have been feeling weak, tired, helpless, been given up on things lately. I just lost my will or drove to do anything. These are a few questions but im not sure what to do. I would call myself a little more than average looking, so I do not understand why I am so down.

After sex, my testicles swell up, and they hurt. And this is all true, so do not think I am making it up. But when I make a bowel movement, I noticed a little blood in it. That is scary itself. I do not have insurance. Please help my appointment in the right direction because I feel like giving up on everything I am getting off of Suboxone is one of the hardest things I have ever done, and I want nothing more than to be clean and to be happy because I feel like Suboxone is taking my life away. I am so ready to get on the right page and be in the right direction. I just need somebody to help me. I have a 15-year-old daughter who really needs her dad. Kindly give your opinion.

#

You have gone through hard times for quite a while, and so it is no wonder that you are emotionally and physically exhausted. I can assure you that there are doctors all over the place who also treat under-insured patients. Your symptoms can be due to the following reasons:

1) Post-addiction syndrome.

2) Psychophysical exhaustion.

3) Dysregulated body functions.

4) Psychosomatic reactions.

I advise you to have healthy food and enough sleep.

I kindly ask you to see such a doctor in person. You will be able to find one, even if you have to ask a welfare organization for a list of physicians who help. It would help if you had a complete check-up, physically and mentally, and most likely also a non-habit-forming anti-depressant. If you could find a free counselor on top of that, you would feel much better very soon. Do not hesitate to contact me if you need any further advice.

|