Q. How to get treated for ulcerative colitis?

Published on Aug 23, 2016

I am suffering from ulcerative colitis for the past five years. I had a colonoscopy twice and sigmoidoscopy once in the past five years. I am 28 years old. I had Balacol 750 mg six times a day and Mesacol enema for a month. Because of short supply of Balacol, I cannot take it for one week. As a result, I just started getting rectal bleeding and cramping while passing stools. I feel fatigue and fever. Please help me to solve this problem. Now, I am on Mesacol 400 mg 12 times a day.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com

We are here to help you.

• You seem to be suffering from ulcerative colitis and that requires evidence of the findings in colonoscopy and biopsy.
  • This is a chronic condition and requires chronic treatment based on the severity of the disease and the ongoing symptoms. Treatment is mostly with anti-inflammatory medications like Sulfasalazine and Mesalamine (Mesalazine).
  • Reducing inflammation will help with abdominal cramps and diarrhea that is the most frequent complaint in these patients.
  • If the severity is high and the patient is having blood in stools, then we need to give corticosteroids enema and antibiotics like Rifaximin.
  • In cases with frequent relapse and if there is suspicion of malignancy, which is not there in your case, surgery is indicated that is proctocolectomy with ileostomy.
  • Currently, I suggest Sulfasalazine and steroid enema. This might be given for a short course to suppress the inflammation. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

What causes blood and mucous in stools?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and I weigh 60 kg. A few days back, after dinner, I passed stools and while flushing, I found the stool to have mucous and blood. When I attempted to clean the anal region after defecating, I found all three tips of my finge...  Read Full »

I am having loose-motions and bad appetite after taking curd. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past few months, I have been having acidity issues and I have been taking Sompraz 40 mg for the last 1.5 months. Last week I had some sweet curd which did not suit me well and the next day I started having semi-solid loose motions 4 to 5 times a day but had no fever. The next ...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have green stool a day after colonoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I had a colonoscopy and today I had a bowel movement that was bright green. Should I contact the doctor who performed the procedure or is this normal? I am a 32-year-old female.  Read Full »