Q. How to get treated for ulcerative colitis?

Published on Aug 23, 2016

I am suffering from ulcerative colitis for the past five years. I had a colonoscopy twice and sigmoidoscopy once in the past five years. I am 28 years old. I had Balacol 750 mg six times a day and Mesacol enema for a month. Because of short supply of Balacol, I cannot take it for one week. As a result, I just started getting rectal bleeding and cramping while passing stools. I feel fatigue and fever. Please help me to solve this problem. Now, I am on Mesacol 400 mg 12 times a day.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com

We are here to help you.

• You seem to be suffering from ulcerative colitis and that requires evidence of the findings in colonoscopy and biopsy.
  • This is a chronic condition and requires chronic treatment based on the severity of the disease and the ongoing symptoms.¬†Treatment is mostly with anti-inflammatory medications like Sulfasalazine and Mesalamine (Mesalazine).
  • Reducing inflammation will help with abdominal cramps and diarrhea that is the most frequent complaint in these patients.
  • If the severity is high and the patient is having blood in stools, then we need to give corticosteroids enema and antibiotics like Rifaximin.
  • In cases with frequent relapse and if there is suspicion of malignancy, which is not there in your case, surgery is indicated that is proctocolectomy with ileostomy.
  • Currently, I suggest Sulfasalazine and steroid enema. This might be given for a short course to suppress the inflammation. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

What causes blood and mucous in stools?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and I weigh 60 kg. A few days back, after dinner, I passed stools and while flushing, I found the stool to have mucous and blood. When I attempted to clean the anal region after defecating, I found all three tips of my finge...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following are the possibilities according to your complaints: Acute dysentery. Piles (hemorrhoids). Inflammatory Bowel Disease. You need to consult a doctor for physical examination. You will need proctoscopy (medical examination of the anal cavity with a thin t...  Read Full

I am having loose-motions and bad appetite after taking curd. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past few months, I have been having acidity issues and I have been taking Sompraz 40 mg for the last 1.5 months. Last week I had some sweet curd which did not suit me well and the next day I started having semi-solid loose motions 4 to 5 times a day but had no fever. The next ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is possible that you had some infection after ingestion of curd. And subsequently, you got better. As you are not much symptomatic I would not advise any further empirical antibiotics. You can try tablet Rifaximine 400 mg twice a day after meals for 10 days along with ...  Read Full

Is it normal to have green stool a day after colonoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I had a colonoscopy and today I had a bowel movement that was bright green. Should I contact the doctor who performed the procedure or is this normal? I am a 32-year-old female.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Bright green color stool could be due to the presence of bile in stool. During a colonoscopy, you were given laxatives that might have disturbed your intestinal flora that is responsible for the yellowcolor of the stool. Also, stool must have passed rapidly through the ...  Read Full