Q. What are the causes of inguinal lymphadenopathy?

Dr. Devendra
Published on Oct 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 25, 2019

I had a swollen lymph node in my groin and for which I took antibiotics for two weeks. But, there was no improvement. So two days back, I had a biopsy of the whole lymph node. I will get the results in five days from now. I am worried because, now I have another swollen lymph node in the groin, just below the one given for biopsy. When I called my doctor, he said that it is not a typical reaction to the operation. I have an appointment with him in two days. Can you please tell me why my lymph node is swollen again?

Dr. Devendra

Urology
#

• For any cause of inguinal lymphadenopathy, excision of nodes is not a definitive treatment. It is done just for a diagnostic purpose, so once you get the biopsy reports, we will know more about your illness.
  • The swelling in the other lymph node that is of no additional concern as it may have been present before excision itself.
  • Inguinal nodes drain areas from the genitals, perineal skin, perianal area, buttocks, and same side lower limb. Do you have any nodule, red or black area in these parts?
  • Do you have any foot injury on the same side? Please do share the biopsy reports when available.

Revert with more information to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

I do not have any symptoms that you mentioned, but I did have hemorrhoids a few months back. And the second lymph node got swollen only after the biopsy. It was not there before, or else I would have noticed it before itself. Does the new swollen lymph node since the biopsy, mean the issue is more likely to be an infection and not a malignant lymphoma?

Here is a short history of my problem, I noticed the first swollen lymph node almost a month back. Then I had blood tests, urine tests, and ultrasound done and all the reports were fine. During and following this, I had Levofloxacin for two weeks, which was not effective. I then had the biopsy done. Since the biopsy, another swollen lymph node appeared below the earlier one. I am under Amoxicillin and Etoricoxib since the biopsy.

Dr. Devendra

Urology
#

• I feel it is best to wait for the biopsy reports.
  • Inguinal lymphadenopathy is usually due to infective or inflammatory cause if localized. Thinking about multiple possibilities just gives undue stress.
  • Swelling of the second lymph node is also not indicative of anything new, as it might be a part of the primary illness, which will be clear only after the biopsy reports.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Is Gum Inflammation a Curable Problem?

Article Overview: The medical terminology for inflamed gums is 'gingivitis'. It is one of the most common oral health concerns faced by each of us. This article talks about the causes and cure for gingivitis. Read Article

Gingivitis refers to inflammation of the gums. Gums (or gingiva) along with the bones and ligaments form the supporting structure of the teeth. Once they get swollen, there is redness, puffiness, and bleeding of gums. But, in most cases, it is treatable and reversible. When left untreated, it can l...  Read Article

What is the rationale behind lymph node enlargement in my baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year 8-month-old son has a single lymph node enlargement which is movable around 1.5 cm. There are no other signs or symptoms. There is no sign of any infections. Should I be worried?  Read Full >>

Dr. Simy Mathew
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Single lymph node has no significance if there are no associated infections. Maybe your child had some cold or minor infection around that area due to which the lymph nodes got enlarged. You should show a doctor when lymph node increases in size as it is becoming v...  Read Full

What is non-Hodgkin lymphoma?

Query: Hi doctor, What is non-Hodgkin lymphoma? What can cause NHL? Which age group is more commonly affected? Can NHL occur without any family history? Does all left supraclavicular (Virchow's node) node is associated with lymphoma? Can single small but persistent size of lymph node enough for NHL? Why m...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) is a group of lymphomas, which does not fall into the classification of Hodgkin's lymphoma. Anything which does not fit the criteria of Hodgkin's is NHL.NHL can be caused due to a viral infection like Epstein Barr Virus, radiation, immune-modify...  Read Full