Q. Why did my insomnia and anxiety worsen after menopause?

Dr. Varunbabu Aucha

I have been suffering from insomnia for quite some time. But it has gotten worse since I started going through menopause, and my anxiety is at 20 per scale. I also have cholesterol and vitamin D deficiency. Currently, I am taking the tablet Atorvastatin. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. I would like to know the following:

1) Do you have diabetes, hypertension, asthma, and thyroid-related issues?

2) Are you going through any stress?

3) Are you working?

There could be some hormonal-related issues that sometimes affect your sleep, and it needs a detailed workup. I suggest you take a low dose of drugs for anxiety suggested by your physician after clinical examination and history taking.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

Thanks for the reply.

I do take medication for cholesterol. I am a medical assistant, and I take about three to four teaspoons of Benadryl syrup at night. After I lost my sister, my doctor suggested Lexapro, which made me sluggish in the daytime. I have been given Xanax, which seems to make me relax more, and I was taking it in the evening. The only thing that seemed to allow me to stay asleep was Ambien 5 mg. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. I suggest the following:

1) You can continue the cholesterol medication.

2) Tablet Xanax (Alprazolam) 0.5 mg daily at night. Take it two hours before going to bed.

3) Tablet Ambien (Zolpidem) 5 mg for insomnia. But do not take both tablets. Prefer anyone of the tablet.

4) Do not take syrup Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) in three to four teaspoons, as it is suggested only for cough.

5) Do not make a habit of taking syrup Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) daily. Do not get addicted to it.

It is very sorrowful to hear that you lost one of your family members. The past has already happened. I would suggest you concentrate on your health and work. I cannot say you do not think of your family member. As days pass, we need to slowly forget the things that had already occurred. It is pretty demanding, but we need to survive and think of family members. Do not think more as it will affect your sleep. Try to involve in work that will divert your thoughts, and you will have a good sleep.

I hope you get well soon.

Thanks for the information.

Can you prescribe those medications?

#

I suggest you tablet Xanax (Alprazolam) 0.5 mg daily at night two hours before going to bed for 20 days.

I hope you get well soon.

Insomnia

Tablet Xanax (Alprazolam) 0.5 mg

|