Q. Do my insulin values indicate pancreatic cancer?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Jul 05, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 29, 2019

My lab tests are as follows:

Seven months ago: blood glucose of 105 mg/dl, GTT one hour 160 mg/dl, two hours 118 mg/dl, morning insulin 6.2 μU/ml, HbA1c 5.2 %, A1 6.1 %. This month: BG 110 mg/dl, GTT one hour 184 mg/dl, two hours 115 mg/dl, morning insulin 5.3 μU/ml. Every other blood test within normal ranges. I am male 32 years old 1.86 cm 93 kg 13 to 14 % body fat athletic with healthy nutrition habits. No history of diabetes in the family. Could I be having cancer in pancreas judging from the insulin values you are seeing? I have had many years to do a blood test and with this random one seven months ago. I was told by my doctor that I had to keep monitoring my blood glucose since I could develop diabetes later on, and since I have never had a problem with blood sugar as a kid and no family history of diabetes, I was wondering what might be going on cause insulin levels dropped from my last test and since my diet was pretty much same with healthy choices why is this happening. My doctor for the last seven months kept telling me to calm down and that I do not have anything cause stressing is bad for my blood glucose too. Should I be telling him to get a pancreas MRI done?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned I would like to say that the reason that your insulin levels are dropping is because of your beta cells of the pancreas are getting exhausted and are not gradually decreasing the production of insulin. Pancreatic cancer does not have these manifestations at all. So testing for cancer without any strong family history or clinical manifestations is just not recommended. Continue with your healthy lifestyle and try to workout more as they reduce insulin resistance and thereby decrease fatigue of your pancreatic cells.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

My HbA1c level was 7.5 last month. Should I continue Gemer 1 tablet?

Query: Hi doctor, Last month, my HbA1C was 7.5. I was advised to take Gemer 1 tablet before breakfast for 30 days. My LDL cholesterol is 119 mg/dL, HDL is 40mg/dL and triglycerides 161 mg/dL. My age is 49. Should I continue Gemer 1 along with other medicines? Kindly suggest.  Read Full >>

Dr. Talal Hussain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The HbA1C level of above 7 is a confirmatory diagnosis of diabetes mellitus. So, now you are a diabetic and should receive full diabetic management ranging from diet modification, exercise and medication. As far as tablet Gemer 1 mg (Glimepiride) is concerned, I suggest ...  Read Full

My HbA1c is 7.5. Should I continue my tablet for diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ankush Gupta
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have mentioned that took medicine for a month, still your HbA1c - glycated hemoglobin is 7.5 (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is little high. The target of HbA1c should be less than 7. So, I would suggest you to continue with tablet Glycipha...  Read Full

I take insulin, but my sugar levels are high. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, How are you? I am a 54 year old male. Nowadays, my sugar level is very high. Every day, I inject 28 units of insulin, 16 units in the morning before food and 12 units in the evening before food. But, my sugar levels are at 255 mg. I want to know if I should increase the shot of insulin...  Read Full >>

Dr. Suneetha B S
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it is clear that you need an increase in the dosage of insulin. However, it is also a good idea to reflect on your lifestyle and see if you can make any changes. If you are eating foods that increase blood sugar levels, especially sweets, you hav...  Read Full

Ask a Diabetologist Now