Doctor advised taking Insulin injections instead of tablet. What do you suggest?

Q. Doctor advised taking Insulin injections instead of tablet. What do you suggest?

Dr. Krutika Shrikant Ingle
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 06, 2023

I am 33 years old. One year back, my HbA1c result was 8.2 %. Then, I started to take medicine Dailyglim M1 for three months and started some workout and took light food. Then, my sugar level came down. Fasting and PP result were in 105 mg/dL and 160 mg/dL range respectively. But, after some time it went bad again and I started to take Dailyglim M2 twice a day since the last two months. One week back, my HbA1c result was 6.7 % and my fasting 105 mg/dL and PP (without tablet) was 180 mg/dL. I consulted a doctor. She told me to take Insulin 10 units two times a day. She said this is better than taking tablets. Please suggest what to do.

#

I can understand you are hesitant to use Insulin. But what she has said is right. Finally, Insulin is what controls your blood sugars. Since people are hesitant to use it, we usually do not prescribe it as a first-line treatment. Oral medications help the pancreas to produce insulin. So in case, your cells are not producing any insulin at all, they would not be useful. Also, in the future, you would require using Insulin once your cells are exhausted of insulin. Your body is still responding to medicines. So, if you want, you can tell her that you would like to use oral medications and see how your sugar levels turn up. Or else, you can give Insulin a try and see. Regards.

|