Q. Will stem cell therapy help in curing sarcoids in ILD patient?

Dr. Prabhu Prasad N.c
Published on Apr 18, 2019

My mother aged 64 is suffering from ILD for the past three years. Now the doctor suggested recently that she has developed nodules which are mostly sarcoids in nature. Recent CT scan report shows it. Is there any way to revive her lungs condition? Is stem cell therapy effective for her? She is now on 24 hours of oxygen support with three liters capacity. Please help us.

Dr. Prabhu Prasad N.c

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

ILD (interstitial lung disease) has many different types. What was her type of ILD when diagnosed and what treatment was given? Development of new nodules which are suspicious of sarcoidosis is quite rare, nevertheless if her condition permits which need to be evaluated by biopsy of the lungs, which might help in tailoring the treatment regimen.

Repeat sputum for AFB smears, gram stain, C/S and GeneXPERT MTB/Rif.

1. Apart from home care oxygen, only another thing which might change the course of your mother is exercise, which is called pulmonary rehabilitation.
2. Weekly three times intense pulmonary rehabilitation has to be given.
3. Nutrition is very important which needs to be tailored by getting dietician consultation.
4. Stem cell therapy in ILD is still in the research phases so I cannot advise that.
5. As a last resort, you can try for lung transplantation.

Vaccinations if not done earlier.

| 

Chest X-ray showed a single nodule. Is a biopsy required to rule out cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old female.The initial illness began early this year. The symptoms were cough, SOB, chest pain, and wheezing. I was treated for pneumonia but never got better. Repeated X-rays showed adenopathy as a possibility. So, a CT scan was done which showed hilar, mediastinal aden...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for systemic sclerosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old male. I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease called systemic sclerosis. I have been experiencing a couple of symptoms along with this disease. Could you please give me some advice on how to treat these symptoms, which I could pass on to my regular docto...  Read Full »

Is salt therapy beneficial for non-specific interstitial pneumonia?

Query: Hi doctor, What is non-specific interstitial pneumonia? Is salt therapy beneficial for non-specific interstitial pneumonia? Please explain.  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now