Q. Will stem cell therapy help in curing sarcoids in ILD patient?

Dr. Prabhu Prasad N.c

My mother aged 64 is suffering from ILD for the past three years. Now the doctor suggested recently that she has developed nodules which are mostly sarcoids in nature. Recent CT scan report shows it. Is there any way to revive her lungs condition? Is stem cell therapy effective for her? She is now on 24 hours of oxygen support with three liters capacity. Please help us.

#

ILD (interstitial lung disease) has many different types. What was her type of ILD when diagnosed and what treatment was given? Development of new nodules which are suspicious of sarcoidosis is quite rare, nevertheless if her condition permits which need to be evaluated by biopsy of the lungs, which might help in tailoring the treatment regimen.

Repeat sputum for AFB smears, gram stain, C/S and GeneXPERT MTB/Rif.

1. Apart from home care oxygen, only another thing which might change the course of your mother is exercise, which is called pulmonary rehabilitation.
2. Weekly three times intense pulmonary rehabilitation has to be given.
3. Nutrition is very important which needs to be tailored by getting dietician consultation.
4. Stem cell therapy in ILD is still in the research phases so I cannot advise that.
5. As a last resort, you can try for lung transplantation.

Vaccinations if not done earlier.

|