Q. I have non-itchy red bumps in my body. What it could be?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 08, 2020

I have raised red bumps on hands, arms, legs, and back of the shoulder. I never had rosacea or eczema or dermatitis or any other skin issues. They are also not itchy.

#

There are many causes of non-itchy bumps. It could be sarcoidosis, granuloma annulare or acneiform eruption. I would recommend you to upload the pictures of the affected areas so that, I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.

For more information consult a dermatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Here is the picture. I would say that it is worse on my legs than any other place.

#

I have reviewed the attached photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Now, these are looking like purpuric spots. It seems to be small vessel vasculitis.

I would like to ask you a few questions. What is the duration of these spots? Are these blanchable or non-blanchable? Is there any recent history of fever, sore throat, cough, loose stools, burning during urination or any systemic complaints? Are you taking any medicines or having any chronic disease?

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

They have just started and are non-blanchable. My stools have been loose to soft never really solid looking. Sometimes when I deep breathe, I get chest pains. I have gained quite a bit of weight in short time (20-30 pounds). I also have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) with insulin resistance, and I take 1000 mg Metformin ER for the insulin resistance, but I do not know if the syndrome counts as a disease. The only chronic diseases I have in my family that I can think of is lupus and celiac disease. What kind of doctor do people see for small vessel vasculitis? Is it dermatologists? I have tried steroids, hydrocortisone cream, and allergy medication. The spots did not go away.

#

According to your complaints, it seems to be small vessel vasculitis. It has multiple causes like infection, drugs, chronic diseases and sometimes occurs without any cause. You need to go for all routine investigations like complete blood count, routine urine examination, liver, and kidney function tests and skin biopsy if required. You should consult either a dermatologist or rheumatologist and get yourself evaluated.

|