Q. From the picture, can you confirm if the growth is nodular melanoma?

Dr. Rashmi Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 03, 2021

Before three months, my husband noticed a pink spot on my hip. I thought it was just a bug bite and I put some cortisone cream on it. It has been three months, and for a while, I forgot about it. Now, I do not think that it has grown much. It would be hard to say as I kept trying to rip it off. When I spent some time on the internet, I convinced myself that I have nodular melanoma. I have attached the photos. Please confirm it.

#

• It is impossible to diagnose from a picture whether or not it is a nodular melanoma (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • On the site, it is extremely uncommon on unexposed parts as well as in your age group. Also, nodular melanoma grows very rapidly. It could probably just be an intradermal nevus.
  • Melanoma seems like a highly unlikely possibility here, but confirmed diagnosis can be made only by dermoscopy or biopsy.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I also noticed two new growths on the back of my neck and shoulder area (photo attached). One is about the size of a pencil tip, and the other is about the size of a crayon.

#

• Like I earlier mentioned, its impossible to make the diagnosis of nodular melanoma over pictures.
  • Monitor the lesion for change in texture and increase in speed of growth. It is always better to get it dermoscopically tested.
  • In the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the second one looked like an intradermal nevus.
  • Does it hurt? When did you first notice it?

Revert with more details to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|