Q. I scratched a mole with my nail. Should I worry about that?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 06, 2021

I scratched a mole with my nail. It is a tiny scratch, and I do not even know if it is a mole. It appeared a few years ago. Now, I am worried. I have also attached the photo of it. Can you please advise me if it is dangerous?

#

• Presently, what I can see is the erosion (attachment removed to protect patient identity), so at this stage, even dermoscopy would not be able to find out malignancy.
  • The best policy at this time is to use Mupirocin ointment twice daily to subside or prevent infection.
  • Once the erosion is subsided, then you can go for dermoscopic and histologic examination (skin biopsy) to confirm the nature of the mole.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|