Q. My intraocular pressure is 20 to 24 mmHg. Do I have glaucoma?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

I am 39 years old. My ocular pressure has been measured three times within the last month and values vary from 20 to 24 mmHg. The field vision test is fine. OCT shows some damage to the RNFL. Do I have glaucoma? What treatment do you suggest?

#

In my opinion, we can still keep you in the category of 'glaucoma suspect' rather than labeling you with the diagnosis of glaucoma.

• The most sensitive and specific test for glaucoma is the field test. If field test is normal, then we cannot label you as glaucoma patient. For glaucoma diagnosis, the field test must be abnormal.
  • You have borderline pressure. This could be due to thick cornea also. You should get pachymetry test done. Even if pressure is high, without field loss, I will keep you in the category of ocular hypertension. At this pressure, we can keep you under observation.
  • Regarding OCT (optical coherence tomography) report, the change is very little. You can get repeat OCT scan after six months and sometimes these red areas on the graph disappear on the follow-up visit.

To summarize, in my opinion, you are glaucoma suspect. If you have any family history of glaucoma, then I will start treatment for glaucoma. But if there is no family history of glaucoma, then I would like to wait and keep you under observation. I would like to get all tests repeated after six months for initial 3 to 4 times, and if findings are consistent and non-progressive, then we can reduce the follow-up to yearly once.

I hope this will help you. Regards.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|