HomeAnswersPsychiatryintrusive repetitive thoughtsHow to stay out of constant intrusive thoughts?

I get constant intrusive thoughts in my mind. What to do?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 24, 2020
Reviewed AtNovember 24, 2020

Patient's Query

I was fine up beat and may be little stressed before I started feeling like this. I had my children's birthday which are the day after each other and everything went to plan. I had intrusive thoughts for the first time when I was 12 years old. I struggled it off and I was fine untill I had my second child and almost instantly I started to have intrusive thoughts. I feel like I have been going out of my mind. I have intrusive thoughts that will not go away. I have constantly analysed the thoughts and tried to get them out of my head.

I am waiting to speak to a therapist tomorrow. My doctor has prescribed me sertraline. I took it for 9 days. This time is now 3 years later and it is worse than ever before. I now feel like I am in a coma, I have no feeling emotionally I feel I am living in another world and I cant participate. I have 2 young children whom my heart would burst everytime I looked at them and now nothing. The only feeling I have it one of frustration please help me im begging.


I understand your problem. The problem what u have mentioned looks like your are suffering from repetitive , intrusive thoughts which are called obsessions. Before going to diagnose need further information like, the stress which you mentioned need further details in that.. And also your mood , energy levels, performance in your work, interests in doing pleasurable activities, concentration levels, sleep . And need further information regarding the repetitive thoughts ,how frequent the thoughts, how much distress you are going through because of thoughts, how you are managing the thoughts...

these information helps us to help you through therapy. You mentioned that doctor prescribed Sertraline....did you continue that medication or not ...if continued how long did you take that medication.... If you have only obsessions the treatment will be either medications or therapy like CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) or both based on severity and distress you are undergoing... Research shows that the combination helps better... And you have to continue medication for certain period until the doctor says to stop it... Get back to me with the details I mentioned to guide you in making you better. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Anantha kalyan D
Dr. Anantha kalyan D


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy