Q. I am on Invisalign treatment and my teeth have turned brown. What to do?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Dec 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2019

I am currently on tray five of my Invisalign. Everything has been good so far. But, yesterday, the teeth in the bottom of my mouth started to turn brown. I am worried that something is wrong. I clean my teeth three times a day after every meal. I also clean the aligners. I will attach good pictures. Thank you.

#

I have seen the pictures you have attached along with the complaint (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• These are nothing but stains and calculus.
  • A layer of a chalk-like substance formed over the teeth surfaces especially on the back side of your lower teeth is the calculus. It is prone to get stained by various food substances and sometimes turn yellow to green.
  • The brown colored areas which you are concerned about at the moment are just external stains and occur due to drinking coffee or tea regularly or even because of smoking.
  • These are not because of the Invisalign treatment but occur commonly with anyone.
  • The treatment is as simple as getting a professional cleaning done by your dentist. To maintain the clean teeth, you got to follow the oral hygiene instructions given by the dentist after then.

1. Coffee or tea stains.
2. Smoking.
3. Improper oral hygiene.

Generalized marginal gingivitis with external stains.

Scaling and oral hygiene instructions.

Inculcate the habit of brushing certain parts of the teeth surfaces in particular.

Revert after six months to a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Why is Chlorhexidine mouthwash used only twice daily?

Query: Hello doctor, Why is Chlorhexidine mouthwash used only twice and not thrice daily?  Read Full »

Can I use whitening toothpaste for the yellow stains in my teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have yellow stains in my teeth. I feel very bad before others. This problem has been there since childhood. I have attached the pictures of my stained teeth. Please advise.  Read Full »

Why is my tooth root exposed?

Query: Hello doctor, My two front bottom teeth are wearing away from the inside (from below upwards). They will soon have the roots exposed and then I will surely lose them. Is there anything I can do to slow down the process? Brushing now seems to accelerate it with chunks coming out!! I have not been to ...  Read Full »