Q. My child has iron deficiency anemia, and she is intolerant to cow's milk. What would you advise?

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My child, who is 6 years old, felt sick on his birthday this year (one week ago), accusing fatigue. He looks pale and vomiting. We took him for blood tests. His red blood cells were way below normal 3.8; the doctor sent us to an oncology hospital suspecting leukemia. Later, they said it is severe anemia because iron was deficient. They gave him iron through the perfusion, and they were supposed to discharge him from the hospital today. The latest check looks like he is not assimilating the iron still, and the red cell's situation did not Improve. They advised endoscopy and colonoscopy, suspecting now internal bleeding. Is the course of the current investigation is right? Should we look into a different approach with the treatment? What would you suspect or advise in this case? He is also intolerant to cow's milk.

#

Anemia is common in malabsorption diseases (cow milk intolerance in your case). Iron deficiency takes six months to develop in case of reduced intake or absorption or loss via blood. They are probably doing endoscopy or colonoscopy because of milk intolerance to rule out irritable or inflammatory bowel diseases. After intravenous infusion of iron, it takes one to two months to increase hemoglobin and red cells. There is also some immunodeficiency due to nutritional deficiency. Your child should also get vitamin B12 and folic acid supplements (regardless of blood results because of iron deficiency, and in such low hemoglobin, there must be folate and B12 deficiency accompanying). Some allergic trendy is also evident. That should be clinically assessed and investigated and treated either with antihistamines or leukotriene inhibitors.

| 

My baby often has loose stools. What medicines should I give him?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 6 months old son. He often suffers from loose stools. I do not know why it happens. My friend suggested I give Mathulai manappagu. Please share your thoughts.  Read Full »

My platelet is high with 4 gm hemoglobin. What is my problem?

Query: Hello doctor, My platelet count was 974, hemoglobin was 4, sedimentation rate was >140, and iron was 7 with a saturation of 1%. I went to the doctor because I lost vision in one eye for about an hour. They have done and MRI, and EKG both normal. Two units of blood and iron transfusions started...  Read Full »

Why do infants get constipated easily?

Query: Hello doctor, My 8 month old son is having eczema issues since he was around 2 months old. I presume because of allergies. We have tried many things to find what causes his issues, but still have not got it to go away long term. My main concern is that he has had issues with digestion for the past f...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Hematologist Now