Q. What is the blood report after miscarriage showing?

Published on Sep 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 27, 2019

My daughter is 25 years old, had a miscarriage a few months back. She lost a lot of blood for a week or two and continued a little less for up to a month total. Her OBGYN doctor and her PA did not give her Iron supplements at the time. This month she had her physical and they did the blood work and her ferritin, the serum is 7 and the normal range for the laboratory is 15 to 150. Iron saturation is 5 and iron serum is 18. Also, MCV is 75, MCH is 21.9, MCHC is 29.0, RDW 17.7, platelets 472, all abnormal. Her PA gave her Feosol 65 mg elemental Iron 2 per day. From her doctor's office, they said to come back in a month to repeat the blood work.

Is 7 for the ferritin level concerning corroborated with all the values for the shape, volume, and size of the red blood cells? Does her bone marrow is trying hard to make healthy red blood cells? Do you think that we should go see a hematologist?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The hematology picture is typical of iron deficiency anemia with typical low serum ferritin stores and high MCV values. She has been rightly prescribed Iron supplement by the gynaecologist and should continue it for a month and then repeat her iron profile. Bone marrow is working to make fresh red blood cells or reticulocytes which is a physiological response to iron deficiency anaemia, so there is no apparent need to is it a hematologist as such, but for detailed clarification, you can always opt so.

Please suggest some measures to get pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, From last two years we are trying to conceive and recently my wife had SM test. The result of the prolactin blood test is 9.89 ng/mL and TSH is 2.84. The FSH result is 6.83 mlU/mL. Also the luteinizing hormone range is 3.83 mlU/ml and right ovary adnexal is 38 mm x 24 mm. Please explain ...  Read Full »

Should I get a bone marrow biopsy to rule out possible MPN?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49-year-old female who has chronic health problems going back for awhile. Originally, I was told I had lupus but now I am beginning to think it is something else. Nine months back, I consulted an orthopedic surgeon due to suspected necrosis in left hip, after an arthrogram was don...  Read Full »

I had miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy in the last six months. Is it endometriosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am recently trying to get pregnant and in the past six months, have had a miscarriage and an ectopic pregnancy. I am wondering if there is a chance I have endometriosis. I am wondering this because I have no other risks/causes that could have caused the ectopic. There is no chance I co...  Read Full »