Q. How to find out the reason for shortness of breath and extreme fatigue?

Published on Aug 27, 2016

My mom, who is 76 years old, has a transferritin saturation level of 17. She has been scheduled for iron infusion therapy. She feels extremely fatigued, short of breath and arthritic pain. She cannot tolerate oral Iron. She has had iron infusions before, but do not last long. What to do? This problem has been there for a long time. She has had a cardiac work up, which was good. Currently, she is on blood pressure medication and pain medicine for arthritis.

#

• I am trying to understand whether she has iron deficiency anemia or anemia of chronic disease or myelodysplastic syndrome.
  • Did she ever get a bone marrow biopsy or hemoglobin electrophoresis? Can you share her latest complete blood count (CBC) before and after the infusion? Also, how frequently she is requiring the infusions?
  • Can she tolerate foods containing iron? Have you tried giving her iron-rich liquid and flavored supplement rather than pills? What is the side effect of oral iron?
  • Did you ever figure out where she is losing all this iron? Either colon or urine? Did she have a colonoscopy or FIT (fecal immunochemical test) for colon cancer screening? What about pap smear? Did she have a urinalysis for blood?
  • Please allow me to serve you better by answering these questions and sharing CBC and CMP (comprehensive metabolic panel), which includes kidney and liver function test results if you can.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

She has iron deficiency anemia and difficulty with iron absorption. Her last infusion was before three months. Her Hb was 11.1 that time and is 11.7 now. Her ferritin has remained in the 123 range. She does not have problems with eating iron-rich food. She has had a bone marrow test before and it was fine.

#

Thank you for sharing the pertinent history.

• It seems like she is maintaining reasonable hemoglobin as of now and the ferritin is also in good range.
  • I would highly recommend investigating the cause of iron deficiency anemia. Given her age, the most important thing we worry about is colon cancer or blood loss through genitourinary tract.
  • I am still curious about the cause of anemia. Did you ever figured out why she is not absorbing iron?  Is there any family history of celiac disease or colon cancer? When was her last upper GI endoscopy and colonoscopy? Is there any vaginal bleeding or dark black stools?
  • Also, is her vitamin B12 and D normal? Does she take Aspirin or other blood thinners?

There is no blood in stool. Her physician maintains her on two shots of vitamin B12 a month. I am uncertain of vitamin D level. She has never been tested for celiac. She is not taking any blood thinners or aspirin.

#

Thank you for the information.

• I would highly recommend that her vitamin D should be checked with the next blood draw and she should be seen by a gastroenterologist. She would definitely benefit from an EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy or upper GI endoscopy) and colonoscopy.
  • For her persistent SOB (short of breath) and fatigue, make sure that her cardiac and lung function is checked into. I would start off with an EKG and getting an echo of the heart.
  • Anemia can cause fatigue and tiredness, but not at hemoglobin of 11.7 and ferritin of 123.
  • She will also benefit from CT chest and lung function test if she has a history of smoking in the past.
  • Does she have a PCP (primary care physician)? All these investigations can very easily be ordered by her PCP.
  • There are oral supplement, which are very gentle to stomach like Feosol iron supplements and Geritol, try using them every day.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I feel bloated and breathless. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having stomach problems for the past three days and I have been trying everything and not seem to work. Today I tried Zantac 150 and I feel really bloated and feel like I am out of breath. Is this normal? Please help.  Read Full »

Please suggest a cure for my skin rashes based on the report.

Query: Hi doctor, I have rashes similar to the rash of SLE, swollen, painful and redness around the eyes, severe fatigue and muscle weakness. These symptoms occurred a few months back after I had an intestinal infection. The doctors suspected it to be dermatolysis too, thus having a skin biopsy done tomorr...  Read Full »

How to identify the reason for palpitations?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from heart palpitations. Also, I have occasional breathlessness. For a while, I used Propranolol. But, it did not work. So, the doctor asked me to do a thyroid test and the result was normal. I do not know what to do. Please help  Read Full »