Q. What is the maximum iron intake for a man?

Dr. Shobhit Shah
Published on Oct 08, 2017

I am a 31 year old male, who is 1.8 m tall, and I weigh 106 kg. I have a problem recently. I went to a dentist for an abscess, and I had blood a bit removed, so I felt a bit weak. And finally some days after, I felt I needed iron supplements. I took one 100 mg and then took another 100 mg. And I took Amoxicillin antibiotic of 125 mg not more like 1 to 2 hours after, as I was under antibiotics. The antibiotics I had were 1000 mg, but I was not taking 1000 mg I took 500 mg or less or rarely 1000 mg for five days. But I took the iron supplement on last day of my antibiotic before having the tooth extraction. I also took another split of 100 mg, but not 100 mg but like 75 mg split into two. What is the maximum iron intake for adult men? What must I do if I took an overdose? Does taking LiverCare help?

Dr. Shobhit Shah

Internal Medicine
#

• To know about iron overload, get serum ferritin and iron levels checked. In iron-deficiency, an elementary iron of 100 to 200 mg per day is advised.
  • In a normal person, daily allowance is hardly 25 mg per day. You just stop your iron supplements and have these tests.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What diet will you recommend for a beta major thalassemia patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter, who is 2.5 years old, is suffering from beta major thalassemia. From her 3 months of age, blood has been transfused either once in 30 or 45 days after checking the blood level. I would request you to kindly advise a good and healthy food diet. Is there any important daily die...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Thalassemia is a disease due to reduced globin production in the hemoglobin part of RBC (red blood cells). It is not due to nutritional deficiency, but due to inherited mutation abnormalities. Yes, nutrition requires improvem...  Read Full

Can you see the attached CBC report, and let me know if there is anything serious ?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife's iron and ferritin were low, so the doctor ordered CBC. CBC showed low WBC, high monocytes, and high RBC, which is what made us scared. She has schistocytes and elliptocytes among other RBC morphologies. We read about it and are very worried, and she had a C-section three years...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your wife's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The report shows schistocytes, which are fragmented RBC (red blood cell), commonly seen in hemolytic anemia. So, to rule out hemolysis, serum LDH (lactate dehydrogenase), ret...  Read Full

Hemochromatosis and Iron Overload: Causes, Diagnosis, Clinical Presentation and Management

Article Overview: Hemochromatosis is a congenital condition in which an HFE gene mutation is present. So, increased iron absorption occurs irrespective of intake. More iron gets accumulated and iron storage increases. If the condition progresses, then iron gets accumulated in other organs apart from bone marrow like in liver, spleen, myocardium, joints, testes, skin, etc. Lets read more about this condition. Read Article

Hematologist

Hemochromatosis is a congenital condition in which an HFE gene mutation is present. So, increased iron absorption occurs irrespective of intake. More iron gets accumulated, and iron storage increases. If the condition progresses, then iron gets accumulated in other organs apart from bone marrow like...  Read Article