Q. I am having irregular periods with abdominal pain and cramps. Please suggest medication.

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

I am 32 years old. My height is 5'7" and weighs about 110 kg. I am having irregular periods from a long time. PCOD was detected and prescribed Ginette 35 and M2 tone (as I remember). I took for two months and my weight was increased by 10 kg and so I stopped. No medicines at present. I used to take Primolut N for delaying periods during any functions but now I stop that too.

I am facing severe abdominal pain, cramps during irregular periods (usually occurs once in one and a half to two months) making me unable to move, sleep, walk, ride vehicle, etc. My friend asked me to take Apcod sachet for irregular periods but I did not take yet. It would be great if you could help me with my period issues or prescribe medicine. I am allergic to cold and dust and my chest specialist has asked me not to take any steroids due to overweight. Rest I do not have any problem.

I have done USG pelvis and abdomen, Thyroid T3, T4, and TSH. I do not have a thyroid problem.

#

The main issue for you is your weight. Once you lose weight, the medicines will act better.

Kindly do join a gym and reduce your weight and bring BMI to at least 25. You must lose weight in a healthy way and not only by dieting. Avoid junk food and follow a healthy lifestyle.

Medicines that were prescribed to you are correct and do not cause weight gain. So do not worry. I cannot prescribe medicine online. But you may continue taking Ginette along with weight reduction. Only then it will cure the disease. If you are not able to reduce weight despite gymming, consult a bariatric surgeon.

|