Q. I am having irregular periods with abdominal pain and cramps. Please suggest medication.

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

I am 32 years old. My height is 5'7" and weighs about 110 kg. I am having irregular periods from a long time. PCOD was detected and prescribed Ginette 35 and M2 tone (as I remember). I took for two months and my weight was increased by 10 kg and so I stopped. No medicines at present. I used to take Primolut N for delaying periods during any functions but now I stop that too.

I am facing severe abdominal pain, cramps during irregular periods (usually occurs once in one and a half to two months) making me unable to move, sleep, walk, ride vehicle, etc. My friend asked me to take Apcod sachet for irregular periods but I did not take yet. It would be great if you could help me with my period issues or prescribe medicine. I am allergic to cold and dust and my chest specialist has asked me not to take any steroids due to overweight. Rest I do not have any problem.

I have done USG pelvis and abdomen, Thyroid T3, T4, and TSH. I do not have a thyroid problem.

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The main issue for you is your weight. Once you lose weight, the medicines will act better.

Kindly do join a gym and reduce your weight and bring BMI to at least 25. You must lose weight in a healthy way and not only by dieting. Avoid junk food and follow a healthy lifestyle.

Medicines that were prescribed to you are correct and do not cause weight gain. So do not worry. I cannot prescribe medicine online. But you may continue taking Ginette along with weight reduction. Only then it will cure the disease. If you are not able to reduce weight despite gymming, consult a bariatric surgeon.

| 

What can be done for irregular bleeding from vagina?

Query: Hello doctor, There is irregular bleeding from the vagina in varying amount. Before that, there were no periods for six months. Kindly help.  Read Full »

What is Obesity? Why People Become Over-Weight?

Article Overview: Obesity is a ‘silent epidemic’. This article tells about how to find if you have obesity and the reasons for it. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Who is Considered as An Obese Person? An Obese person is one who has too much body fat and thus has a negative effect on their health. A person is considered obese when they have a weight over 20% of their ideal body weight. On the other hand, one may consider body mass index. Body mass index, ...  Read Article

Please help me interpret my Pap smear reports.

Query: Hello doctor, I had irregular bleeding for eight weeks. Since ten days it is better. Please examine my pap smear report and HPV report. I got it done as there was irregular bleeding. I have PCOD and diabetes. Currently, I am taking Metformin XR 850 mg. Please let me know whether all looks fine.  Read Full »