Q. I am having irregular periods with abdominal pain and cramps. Please suggest medication.

Answered by
Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 32 years old. My height is 5'7" and weighs about 110 kg. I am having irregular periods from a long time. PCOD was detected and prescribed Ginette 35 and M2 tone (as I remember). I took for two months and my weight was increased by 10 kg and so I stopped. No medicines at present. I used to take Primolut N for delaying periods during any functions but now I stop that too.

I am facing severe abdominal pain, cramps during irregular periods (usually occurs once in one and a half to two months) making me unable to move, sleep, walk, ride vehicle, etc. My friend asked me to take Apcod sachet for irregular periods but I did not take yet. It would be great if you could help me with my period issues or prescribe medicine. I am allergic to cold and dust and my chest specialist has asked me not to take any steroids due to overweight. Rest I do not have any problem.

I have done USG pelvis and abdomen, Thyroid T3, T4, and TSH. I do not have a thyroid problem.

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

The main issue for you is your weight. Once you lose weight, the medicines will act better.

Kindly do join a gym and reduce your weight and bring BMI to at least 25. You must lose weight in a healthy way and not only by dieting. Avoid junk food and follow a healthy lifestyle.

Medicines that were prescribed to you are correct and do not cause weight gain. So do not worry. I cannot prescribe medicine online. But you may continue taking Ginette along with weight reduction. Only then it will cure the disease. If you are not able to reduce weight despite gymming, consult a bariatric surgeon.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What can be done for irregular bleeding from vagina?

Query: Hello doctor, There is irregular bleeding from the vagina in varying amount. Before that, there were no periods for six months. Kindly help.  Read Full »

What is Obesity? Why People Become Over-Weight?

Article Overview: Obesity is a ‘silent epidemic’. This article tells about how to find if you have obesity and the reasons for it. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal
Internal Medicine Physician

Who is Considered as An Obese Person? An Obese person is one who has too much body fat and thus has a negative effect on their health. A person is considered obese when they have a weight over 20% of their ideal body weight. On the other hand, one may consider body mass index. Body mass index, ...  Read Article

Please help me interpret my Pap smear reports.

Query: Hello doctor, I had irregular bleeding for eight weeks. Since ten days it is better. Please examine my pap smear report and HPV report. I got it done as there was irregular bleeding. I have PCOD and diabetes. Currently, I am taking Metformin XR 850 mg. Please let me know whether all looks fine.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.