Q. What can cause irregular menstrual bleeding?

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal
Published on May 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering from irregular bleeding for the past six weeks. I have been using Mirena for the past 10 years for birth control and PCOD. After Mirena my periods had stopped and I would get them once in six months for a day. In six weeks, I have got this bleeding for the third time. It lasts for a maximum for a couple of days. I am diabetic too, and it is under control.

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As per your history, it appears that you are having abnormal uterine bleeding and the cause can be many.

As you told that you are diabetic, I would advise you to get a transvaginal scan first and followed by endometrial sampling to rule out the cause.

In your case of irregular bleeding my suspicion goes for hormonal disturbance.

Please revert back after ultrasound for endometrial thickness.

1. Transvaginal scan and endometrial sampling.
2. Fasting blood sugar.

Revert back with the investigation report to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I got a pap smear and HPV done as a routine. Please see my report. Also, the bleeding is not there for the past 10 days. I have attached my TVS report too. Can you please let me know that all is fine? The doctor gave me Pause-MF (Tranexamic acid) to have if I have bleeding.

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The endometrial thickness is normal. The pap smear and HPV (human papilloma virus) is also fine.
  • Mirena - intrauterine device is there. So, I think there is no need to worry.
  • Pause-MF (Tranexamic acid) is fine and you can take it whenever you have bleeding. But, if another episode happens then get endometrial sampling done.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you very much for your reply. I just wanted to understand the cervical smear report. Could you please explain? Is there any cause for concern?

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• This is the cytology report of cervical smear and it is normal. No malignancy or any infection seen.
  • You need not worry and it is absolutely fine.

Why does bleed severely during menses?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is suffering from menstrual cycle problem. She is bleeding too much and her period continues for 7 days. Due to this,  low BP, headache and lower back problem has started. Since last two years she is feeling weak and less energetic. Kindly suggest good medicines preferably ge...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to go for copper-T for hormonal imbalance and menstrual disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister was experiencing irregular periods and sometimes bleeding was heavy during the menstrual period. We consulted a gynecologist. She suggested taking pelvis scan where they observed that endometrium line became thick. They informed that it was due to hormonal imbalance. Later w...  Read Full »

Will using Restreta tablet for three months cause hormonal imbalance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old girl. I have very dry and dull skin. My dermatologist recommended me to use Restreta tablet for improving my complexion. I have to take it twice in a day before a meal. I want to know whether there will be any hormonal imbalance because of this tablet. Is it safe fo...  Read Full »