iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologyirregular bleedingI have irregular periods and I bleed heavily after having sex. Please help.

Why do I have heavy bleeding after sex?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Nithila. A

Published At July 18, 2019
Reviewed AtJanuary 18, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am 26 years old. I have seen my period in the second month of last year and miss it up for a further two months. I have seen it again after three months and stopped at the end of that month. But anytime I have sexual intercourse, I will bleed and past lots of blood clots for at least three days and then stop, and I waited for four days. I was good until I had sex again the same bleeding occurs, and there was lots of blood clot. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar


Welcome to icliniq.com.

As there is oligomenorrhea and your menses have returned after a long time, eight months now, it is essential that the cause needs to be investigated. The likely reasons are PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), hypothyroidism), or hyperprolactinemia. You need to get a complete hormonal profile with serum estradiol and serum testosterone levels with ultrasound pelvis to look for ovarian cysts (PCOS). The bleeding post intercourse is likely due to cervical erosions, which can cause bleeding and hence, a per speculum exam with a Pap smear is necessary as well. The ultrasound can deduce the endometrial thickness and if thick then an endometrial biopsy may also be taken for histopathological examination and learning the phase of the endometrium. In the meantime, you should be placed on antifibrinolytics like Tranexamic acid for controlling heavy bleeding. Obesity itself is a part of insulin resistance in PCOS, which can cause ovulation and hence delayed menses often. Please review with reports for further discussion and advice.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sameer Kumar
Dr. Sameer Kumar

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy