Q. I have irregular heartbeat and palpitations. Is it due to sinus tachycardia or stress?

Dr. Isaac Gana
Published on Nov 19, 2019

I have consulted two different cardiologists now and they both have gave me a different opinion and prescription. I have been told I have an irregular heartbeat and a high heart rate. The 24 hours Holter test concluded that I have ventricluar extrasystoles 1000/24 hour, but the day after and today I felt more palpitations. He said I have also sinus tachycardia. The walking, running, and stress test came back fine as did my majority EKG and ECG's.

The first doctor said I need to take Flecainide and will need a catheter abulation soon. The second doctor said it was from stress and prescribed me Concor 5 beta blocker. I am unsure who is correct? I am currently taking Yasmin pill.

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

I understand your worry, but no need for you to worry. What you are having is palpitations. They often are due to benign causes. I advise you to continue with Concor and also make sure to get six to seven hours sleep at night. Stop smoking, alcohol or coffee if you take because these are things that can worsen it. Lastly, make sure to do cardio exercises at least three times a week. You will be fine.

Why are palpitations occurring even after pacemaker implantation?

Query: Hello doctor,My 71-year-old father was admitted to the hospital for palpitation occurrence and fast heart beating at 143 beats per minute. He was feeling dizziness in the morning. He was given injections to reduce the heart rate and has taken Holter monitoring for one day. He had previously undergon...  Read Full »

Why is there irregular heartbeat with chest and shoulder pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female, no current medications, no known conditions, family history of many different heart problems on both maternal and paternal sides, seen by a cardiologist for bigeminy and irregular heartbeat over the summer, palpations still happen pretty often, chest and sh...  Read Full »

I felt lightheaded and like my heart stopped. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 74 year old male in excellent health, and I am not on any medications. Recently, I had a strange chest sensation. It felt like my heart stopped or skipped, and I felt lightheaded like I might pass out. I had an EKG, echocardiogram, and a Holter test done. The EKG results were n...  Read Full »